Speaking of Phosphates

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by sihaya, 16 Nov 2010.

1. sihaya

sihaya

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. sihaya

sihaya Thread Starter

Check out the postscript on Cheato and phosphate removal...

4. Adee

Adee

thanks...you comments on this reply below to that article?

Coincidently, I have a sunlit set-up with a massive chaeto ball....have yet to detect levels of PO4.

The readers of this study should remember that "phosporus" really has nothing to do with "phosphate", as far as the aquarium in concerned. "Phosphorus" is in the food you feed, and in the fish, corals, and inverts you grow. "Phosphate", however, is free floating in the water, is invisible, is what your test kits read, and is what makes nuisance algae grow. "Phosphorus" does not make nuisance algae grow; instead it is part of the food of the aquarium. "Phosphate" pretty much feeds one thing: algae. Yes skimmers remove "phosphorus" because it is in the food and microbes that get skimmed out. But the skimmers do not remove phosphate, which is why it builds up until it is consumed by algae

5. alanhout

alanhout

aphos

Hi sara

In your article you say skimmers remove exess food etc not phosphates,
    my Q is what do you think about SCRUBBERS i know to some people retailers etc
    this is a taboo area;)
    i have read a lot about scrubbers and to me seems to be the answer.
    hope you have some thoughts on the issue
    many tks
    aphos

Last edited: 28 Apr 2011
  6. SchyffS

SchyffS Reef Aquarist

there is substantial research done for nutrient removal (phosphates and nitrates) by graduates and full time researchers. The studies are conclusive that algae is very efficient in removing nutrients. The nutrients(mainly phosphate) in turn causes algal proliferation if not controlled. But by growing algae in a controlled manner you will automatically control nutrient levels in the water. aka Santa Monica has shown this by practical demonstration.

The problem that we seemed to have missed is that when nutrients are not controlled then algae grows, algae growing out of control consume large amounts of oxygen, therefore increasing the Biological Oxygen Demand (BOD) leaving very little left for fish and corals.....thus stunting growth of everything else.

Algae, is able to consume/uptake all kinds of stuff...the full list is yet to be compiled. I wont be surprised if it removes all the types and forms of phosphorous mentioned in that article.

Research EUTROPHICATION....it might make more sense.
    If you have access to research papers or journels dig for Mass algae cultivation....goes back to 1948....algae is natures solar panels :)
    Hope im not barking up the wrong tree :)

oh and that was a very well written article Sihaya

Last edited: 28 Apr 2011
  7. sihaya

sihaya Thread Starter

I didn't write that one actually... I just posted it because I really liked it. :)

8. alanhout

alanhout

Hi Sihaya
    I just wanted to know your thoughts on the subject
    thanks all the same.
    APHOS

9. alanhout

alanhout

Hi Schyffs just wanted sihaya input was a good art, thanks for the info they dont mention all forms of phosphor being removed, will check out mass algae cultivation thanks for the info have a good one

10. sihaya

sihaya Thread Starter

I get confused when anyone talks about algae as if all algae is the same. Different algae does different things, consumes/produces different things, grows at different rates, etc. A lot of algae actually produces oxygen. So... it's just more complicated than one might think.

In any event, I'm a fan of ATS, if that means anything to you. I've seen them in action and they do great things (when set up and maintained correctly).

Re scrubbers, if they're chemical scrubbers, I see two potential issue. 1) there are a lot of different kinds of phosphates, does the scrubber remove all? some? and 2) not all phosphates are equal and you don't want 0 phosphates. Corals, algae, all kinds of things use/need phosphates. Without knowing everything there is to know about these scrubbers, my advise would me to go ahead and use them, but be modest about it... don't over scrub and don't rely on it as a replacement for other filtration.

11. SchyffS

SchyffS Reef Aquarist

namaste :)

Thanx for the feedback on algae....
    The science of this hobby gets more and more complicated, for now im gonna stick to the basics.

12. sihaya

sihaya Thread Starter

:) But that's what makes it fun, right? It's so challanging because it's almost like a whole new science. We know what we know about marine ecosystems in the wild (which isn't all that much to start with), and then you put all that into a tiny, closed system and in many respects, it's a whole new thing of its own. And each one is different...

Recent Posts