Sparky's New Tank

Reaction score
Ok, so I was only going to start this thread once everything was setup, but there are a few questions I would like to ask regarding equipment, so I figured now is as good a time as any. I'm working on a 250L setup, measurements are 1500mm x 450mm x 450mm

I've been reading up on wave makers, and get the basic concept that they alternate the flow of water in the tank, different to a powerhead which just flows in one direction. So my question is, would this not be better to have than powerheads around the tank? Or would the function of the powerheads then become more to keep stuff from settling on the bottom?

Also, would having a wave maker not restrict you in what you could keep in the tank, as the flow may be too big for certain things?

I have a few questions on filtration, but I'm still getting those diagrams together.

With flow just remember that there is different types of flow, generally we cannot replicate what the flow is like in the ocean.. if you see what some corals go through on the reefs with waves crashing down, swells etc we just don't get there.. at best most guys have too much linear flow which means that they have too much directed flow in one direction. I like to think of my tank as a washing machine, the bigger the flow and more random the better my SPS grow.. noted that some soft tissue corals do not like a lot of flow but you will always end up with a few spots in your tank that are 'dead spots' and have more limited water movement where they can be kept.

I use a very strong 3000L / h powerhead to blow out my LR, that's about it. the rest are Seios & Boyu pumps that are on controllers.

IMO you can get away with just seios in a 1.5m system if arranged correctly and you use the rocks to difuse the flow.

Agree with Muz here. And in addition, add a Sqwd to your return pump. Just a little bit of extra alternating flow.

Ok, so here is a quick drawing of the on tank filter setup. Water flows in the first chamber, over the top into the second. Between the second and third chambers at the bottom is the outlet to the third chamber, which then gets pumped back into the tank.

My question is, what should I put into these chambers, if anything? What I would like to do is pump from the third chamber into a sump, and from there back into the tank.

Hi Sparky - how big are these chambers? Are they basically in-tank? Or is this your sump design?

For a sump, the best design is:
1st chamber (inlet chamber) - skimmer
2nd chamber - DSB
3rd chamber - return pumps and pumps for other reactors (ie. phosphate reactor, etc)...

IF you had another chamber (ie 4 chambers) I would say chemical filtration after the DSB - before the return pumps.

Hi Sparky - how big are these chambers? Are they basically in-tank? Or is this your sump design?

For a sump, the best design is:
1st chamber (inlet chamber) - skimmer
2nd chamber - DSB
3rd chamber - return pumps and pumps for other reactors (ie. phosphate reactor, etc)...

IF you had another chamber (ie 4 chambers) I would say chemical filtration after the DSB - before the return pumps.

These are on tank. They are roughly 150mm wide each, and about 500mm high.

I haven't collected the sump yet, so I'm not sure how many chambers it has.

Ok - in that case, I would put bags of activated carbon, and phosphate remover in the chambers.....

This will ensure that your tank's water is VERY clear (crystal) AND phosphate free ;-)

It's your choice to have both an in-tank DSB as well as in-sump DSB, Sparky. At least you should have ONE. Or both.....

Alright, so picked up the 100kg's playsand for the in tank DSB today. What's the best/easiest way to rinse the sand. I noticed it goes quite a lighter shade from the little bit I tested out. Bear in mind I have a tank with nothing in it at the moment, so if there is an easy way to do it in tank let me know.

I have taken a few pictures, just haven't had the chance to upload them yet, but they are coming :whistling:

You must wash it outside the tank.

Use a bucket or something similar, half fill the bucket with sand, then use a hosepipe to wash the sand thoroughly, it will take a few washes until the water clears and you will be left with a nice white sand.

Here are some pics of how I washed mine.
Play sand - Beginner Discussions

Yeah, my little test sample looks just like that.

Cool cool, will get the gf a new bucket and tell her to get cracking! :lol:

I think the only thing I'm missing now is lights. What do you guys recommend? I don't have the space for MH, so I'm guessing T5's it is. But what and how many? Tank is 1500mm*450mm*450mm

*edit*

Sorry, I forgot to put that I'm not sure what I'll be keeping yet, so could you make suggestions for both SPS and LPS

hey bud with regard to playsand. i washed a 100kg of it for my 230l system wash it properly. that stuff is manky dirty! just a bucket and a hose... peace out

fit as many T5's as you can using good reflectors ;)

hey bud with regard to playsand. i washed a 100kg of it for my 230l system wash it properly. that stuff is manky dirty! just a bucket and a hose... peace out

Sheesh, no jokes there. I can't believe they said it was washed. I rinsed about 4kg's at a time, probably for about 20 mins each till the water coming off was clear. Took forever. I added almost 100kg's, about 10kg's short. I put normal tap water into the tank and ran that for a day to check that it wasn't clouding up. Once happy I drained that and left the sand in the sun to dry out again.

Back
Top Bottom