South African Postal Stamps

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
I know very few of us use postal stamps these days, especially me, but I was pleasantly surprised when I visited the Post Office today and saw these stamps....

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]
Palette Surgeon (Paracanthurus hepatus) - 5c
[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica]
[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Belongs to the family Acanthuridae and to the subfamily of surgeonfish. Widely distributed in tropical and subtropical seas, they occur from KwaZulu-Natal to the central Pacific and are generally found on reefs in clear water. They reach a length of up to 26 cm.

[/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Blue-banded surgeon (Acanthurus lineatus) - 10c[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica]
[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Belongs to the family Acanthuridae and to the subfamily of surgeonfish. Occurs in the Indo-Pacific Ocean, south to Durban in KwaZulu-Natal. They are territorial and very aggressive and live at the outer edge of reefs exposed to wave action. Their long caudal spine is venomous. They grow to a length of 38 cm.

[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Royal angelfish (Pygoplites diacanthus) - 20c[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica]
[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica]The royal angelfish belongs to the family Pomacanthidae and to the subspecies of angelfish. This vividly coloured species is widespread in the tropical Indo-West Pacific Ocean, south to Sodwana Bay in KwaZulu-Natal. They are usually seen swimming from one coral crevice to another. Grow to about 25 cm.

[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Emperor angelfish (Pomacanthus imperator) - 30c[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica]
[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Belongs to the family Pomacanthidae and the subfamily of angelfish. They occur in the outer reefs of live coral in the Indo-West Pacific, south to KwaZulu-Natal. Juveniles occasionally reach East London. They grow to about 40 cm.

[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Blackbar triggerfish (Rhinecanthus aculeatus) - 40c[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica]
[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Belongs to the family Balistidae and the subfamily of triggerfish. Common in the tropical Indo-West Pacific Ocean, south to Algoa Bay, they are usually found in quiet waters of lagoon sandy areas and parts of seaward reefs. They grow to a length of about 30 cm.

[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Coral rock cod (Cephalopholis miniata) - 50c[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica]
[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Belongs to the family Serrandidae and the subfamily of rock cods and sea basses. This is a coral reef species which range from the Red Sea to KwaZulu-Natal, and east to the western Pacific. They attain a length of about 40 cm.

[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Powder blue surgeonfish (Acanthurus leucosternon) - 60c
[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Belongs to the family Achanthudiae and the subfamily of surgeonfish. Occurs from Sodwana Bay on the eastern KwaZulu-Natal coast to Indonesia. An in-shore species sometimes seen in large aggregations. They grow to about 23 cm.

[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Threadfin butterfly fish (Chaetodon auriga) - 70c [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica]
[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Belongs to the family Chaetodontiodae and the subfamily of butterfly fish. Occurs in the tropical Indo-Pacific seas from South Africa and the Red Sea to the Hawaiian Islands and Australia; its habitat extends south on the South African coast to Mossel Bay.

[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Longhorn cowfish (Lactoria cornuta) - 80c[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica]
[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Belongs to the family Ostraciidae and to the subfamily of "boxfish". A beautiful fish with colours varying from green and olive to orange with blue spots. Occurs in the Indo-West Pacific Ocean, frequently thrown ashore westward to beyond Mossel Bay. They grow to about 46 cm.

[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Longnose butterfly fish (Forcipiger flavissimus) - 90c.[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica]
[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Belongs to the family Chaetoddontidae and to the subfamily of butterfly fish. Most widely distributed species of butterfly fish, extending from Durban in KwaZulu-Natal to the Red Sea, across the Indian and tropical Pacific Oceans to Easter Island and Baja, California. They reach a length of about 16 cm

[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Coral beauty (Centropyge bispinosus) - R1[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica]
[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Belongs to the family Serrandiae and the subfamily of rock cods and sea bass. They occur in the tropical Indo-West Pacific Ocean, south to Sodwana Bay along the eastern KwaZulu-Natal coast, but are rare in Southern African waters.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]

[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica]

[/FONT]

Reaction score
yip, that is very nice, just to badwe don't get all that fish hear in s.a's water.

Reaction score
Postal stamps

Hey Viper,
It looks like the postal services have stolen your avatar,or did you steal it from them?:thumbup:

Reaction score
Very cool, so is this the stock available off our shores ?

I have to do a road trip for some fish.

Reaction score
i collected some when i was little , my grandfather passed them all on to me, if you want to swop some stamp for frags viper , i'm just a pm away:whistling: