Sorry For All the Questions

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Xereo, 17 Feb 2011.

1. Xereo

Xereo

I was Wondering..

If i got Buy Say 2kg over Super Coraline Covered Fiji Rock.
    And i put it in the tank with the Half Dead Fiji ( Stinky lol )
    will it seed the Dead live rock? or would it just kill the super healthy Live rock?

I want to add something like this Good
    [​IMG]

Ps: just started cycling the Live rock

Last edited: 17 Feb 2011
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

firstly ask as many questions as you like its the main purpose of the forum, secondly ask it untill you undserstand it, there is no such thing as a stupid question :)

as for the rock when adding LR to base rock it will transfer and seed the bare rock with life over time.. make sure there is enough available calcium to allow it to take what it needs to grow and you will see it spread quicker.

is this rock you bought?

what is the green algae i see growing on it? possibly bryopsis?

4. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

The dead rock, is mostly dead. OK there could be some living forms that made it. And they will recover and consume the dead matter in the rock. That is what cycling is about. Then, if you add nice, proper cured, healthy live rock. Then some live forms will and would migrate to the least inhabited dead rock. And they will settle there and start growing, multiplying and eventually the dead rock would come back to live a s a healthy rock.

Just do not expose the rock to air for prolonged periods. Fast and quick out and in. Always keep it under water. Use a cooler box.

5. Xereo

Xereo Thread Starter

No i havnt bought any good quality live rock yet. I found that pic on the net. looked like the ones i saw. but had Blue in it ( dunno what that was ) and lots of Coraline.

Didnt want to buy it because of all the die off on the other rocks i got..

6. Xereo

Xereo Thread Starter

So should i cycle the tank with some good Live rock in it?
    and must i add calcium?

7. leslie hempel

try get cured LR if you can, that will be a great benefit in reducing any pollutants that may enter the system and contribute to water fouling and perhaps a slightly longer cucle.

be cautious of algaes and other goggo's that have grown on the rock as you dont want to add a problem to the system, inspect and identify as best you can what is on the rock prior to purchase.

Things like bryopsis and aptasia are pests and can quickly get out of controll and example of things you want to avaoid.

In general if the rock smells badly when brought to the surface of the water it needs to cure longer. i agree with riaans ststement of not allowing the rock to be exposed to air, the air gets trapped within the rock and creates dead spots so on introduction it is recomended that newly added LR be turned over a period of 1-2 hours under the water to allow all the bubbles to escape. adding flow blowing onto the rock will help to an extent.

Last edited: 17 Feb 2011
  8. Xereo

Xereo Thread Starter

ok Great :) i will get some nice LR and add it to my dead for its cycle..
    is it fine that im keeping it in a big black bucket. ( No Light )

has powerhead and heater

9. leslie hempel

thats sounds perfect, just monitor salanity and if you can squeeze a skimemr in there it will help, but not totally necessary, if you conduct testing over the curing period you will be very surprised to see how quickly the rock rehabilitates itself,

oh and yes the darker the better.

10. Xereo

Xereo Thread Starter

ok, Sounds good to me.. going to cycle for 3 months

11. leslie hempel

not necessary to cycle too long its more how you add your fish thats the problem, corals (softies anyway) generally come attached to rock which is beneficial, its the fish and the feeding of the fish where the pollution factor kicks in.

if you can manage this and stock slowly you will achieve good results than if you impulse buy and overload the syste.

patience is the name of the game ;)

12. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

Leslie, I have heard a story that if you want to seed a tank with corraline then you should obviously get the rock cycled and ready, but i have heard that if you take a corraline rock and use a new metal brush on it then the corraline spores will colanize the rest of the rock, assuming the light and calcium and Mag requirements are met, have you ever heard of this?

13. leslie hempel

yes neil, we practiced this ages ago where we would take scrapings off of the glass of a fellow reefers tank when he was cleaning it and sprinckled it over cycling base rock..

works well

14. maxisoft

maxisoft

Interesting.... tagging along....

15. calvin@exotics

calvin@exotics

Something to consider when encouraging corraline growth in a new system is the affect it will have on your aerobic and anaerobic bacteria , when you have live rock almost fully covered in corraline (as in your photo) the porosity of the rock is hindered and the biological filtration capabilities of the rock can be cut significantly depending on coverage. So from an aesthetic point of view it is wonderful but very limiting when it comes to filtration.

16. Xereo

Xereo Thread Starter

hmmm, interesting..

Well im going to go buy some Coraline covered LR
    Scrape some coralione off an let it float around with the rest of the rock :)

PS. Can Anyone tell me why the live rock i saw had like a lovely colour blue shades in the rock?

Its so Hard to explain. Looks like a Milky blue Coral and mixed in with the live rock,
    So where the piece has been broken off , there is waves of blue inside the rock.

Sorry i dont have pictures, i cant even find something similar online to show u.
    Its a first ive ever seen before
    I wonder should i buy it? look nice, but who knows lol , maybe its deadly

Last edited: 18 Feb 2011
  17. Xereo

Xereo Thread Starter

*bump*

18. Neil H

Xereo,
    Etiquette dictates one bump per day max, bumping a thread after 34 mins is unacceptable !

19. Xereo

Xereo Thread Starter

lol Doesnt help if i must stand a day at a placing waiting to buy something...
    Its gone if i dont take it now...
    Thats why im waiting for info ...

20. calvin@exotics

calvin@exotics

the blue or whit colouration within live rock is a sign that some sponge has died within the porous network of the rock ,the blue you are seeing is a bacteria known as beggiatoa it is associated with a sulphur like smell.

this is often a indication that the rock is not properly cured

Last edited: 18 Feb 2011
  21. Neil H

well if you had mentioned you were standing at a shop waiting to buy it in the first place you would possibly have got a more prompt response

3 things to consider.

1. rush buys in this hobby are never a good thing, ever, research things on MASA before going out and buying
    2. without seeing a pic it is almost impossible to say with any certainty what the blue is
    3. the blue is most likely one of 2 things, it is probhably a mixture of silica and carbonate formed in layers as the rock was acreted, if this is the case then it should be fine. It may however be a sponge of some sort in which case it may not be desirable. if you say the blue is only visable where the rock is broken then chances are it is as a result of the formation of the rock and it should be ok

Recent Posts