Sooooo Excited - Advice needed

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Galen, 4 Sep 2011.

1. Galen

Galen

For those who have read my previous thread, My tank was ready to POP. Its 1220mm x 450mm x 500mm.
    Luckily its a newly set up tank and only has live rock in it. This was supposed to be my first and MAIN project and I'm a little disappointed and was ready to throw in the towel even though i technically haven't started yet. But i WILL persevere!!!

I managed to drain the feature tank, wasting half of that precious NEW... SALT WATER (and nutrients) and left the fans on to circulate the water.
    The Sump- I managed to insert to outlet pipe into the skimmer compartment and leave that running.
    I hope it hasn't caused any long lasting effects. The "roaches" are still crawling all over the rocks and I spotted some tiny white worms with orange bristles (Have no clue what they are) and they moving around as happy as can be. They are about a third of a mm thick and about 10 - 20mm long, in case someone may inform me what they are called...

I've put down a deposit on a new tank.
    The dimensions are 1200x450x700. Apparently the glue is going to be oven baked... is this OK? or normal? Luckily its under warranty.

Im SOOO excited. Ill be using the advice from Dorry pets to create a new sump with the "river sand effect". Ill quickly fix the current tank and re-enforce it a bit better and then use it. I wont be planning on filling it up to the brim so im sure itll work nicely. As soon as its up and ready, which will only be at the end of the month, ill post a picture. It'll be empty, I warning upfront. I hope that all goes well...
    Good luck to me....

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tremayn

Tremayn

sounds good man. Is it 700 wide?

4. Galen

Galen Thread Starter

No, its 700 high. They using 12mm glass. Rather overkill than a burst tank. :)

5. Galen

Galen Thread Starter

I have a question. For a tank with the above mentioned dimensions, what lighting would anyone recommend?
    I want a full reef tank :)

6. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

galen, if you can, change dimensions to 600x600 WxH with water level at 550ish.

7. Tremayn

Tremayn

450 is too narrow mate. Rather go 700 wide and 450 high. That way it will be the same volume. Wider the better. 600x600 is also lekker as the tank is deep enough. I dont think you should go deeper than 600 unless you have long arms and some powerful lighting

8. crispin

crispin

hey galen, comngrats on the new tank, good idea and i am sure you'll get the hang of things soon:)

i see a number of guys have commented on the dimensins of your tank and i rather agree with them, the dimensions you have will be limiting in some degree or other, let me explain a little....

1200 is a nice length although id go as long as possible for swimming space for fish like tangs and butterflies as they need the length to swim. think about this as most tanks (or tank owners) want tangs and this is worth thinking about.

width wise at 450 you will find the tankj narrow and thus difficult to aquascape nicely. this is a personal choice but scaping a reef is incredibly important to getting it to look good. at 450 width you will only be able to have a back wall of rock with corals attached to it and that doesnt always look great. if you can go wider DO, id aim at between 650 and 800 if you can.

a depth of 700 (do you know water height over the overflow, prob 650) might make lighting decisions slightly more complex than it needs be. Light battles to penerate the heavier medium of water and thats a problem for light loveing inthings like corals (they have to have light to live (well 90% do). so youd probably need to go with MH lighting which can be expensive. Personally id make the water height 600, tank heigh 650 and be able to use LED or T5 lighting.

if you can chat to the tank builders get their thoughts on what we have sai and check with us before paying cash ok :)

Theo likes this.
  9. hermie

hermie

Hey Galen, we have a 1.2m which is also about 450 wide. We find it too narrow and limited in terms of scaping. If you can go wider do it and I promise you won't regret it.

10. Galen

Galen Thread Starter

Thanks guys, i appreciate the advise. I just spoke to him and he said he will make the changes. (Which means he hasnt even started yet). I cant make it bigger than 1200 but Crispin, i did change the W & L to 600. Thanks.
    Will 4 light fittings for T5 lighting - 2 white and 2 blue be enough for the 1200 x 600 x 600?
    I also have an extra light fitting for the sump. Is that river effect for a sump legit or should i rather just do live rock?

11. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

i see the dimention crew have dug in, my 2c go wider and shallower and do wahtever you want with the length :)

you say: "Apparently the glue is going to be oven baked... is this OK? or normal? Luckily its under warranty."

I am not fimiliar with this process and im baffeled to how it would benefit the tank? i would ask for more info in this respect, as its not a common practice.

1.2 is a lovley size, i miss my 1.2m x .750 x .600.. it was big enough to suit my needs and small enough to maintain.. i had to go ruin a good thing and go 5ft..

12. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

4 will be fine for softies and some LPS, i would look at increasing to perhaps 6 tubes in time...

13. Galen

Galen Thread Starter

Hey Leslie, have you or anyone heard of a guy called Yolo?
    Anyhow... I was told that after time, marine glue does deteriorate a bit, i dont know if this is true or not, but he explained that the glue used to join the glass is reinforced by baking. Now i dont know if thats in the oven or under Infra red lighting. Ive heard of something similar being done in Sandton somewhere. Then the marine glue is used to seal instead of bond.
    Anyhow.... ja...

14. zayd

zayd

Never heard of Yolo. Silicone is normally used and lasts more than 10 yrs.

15. Galen

Galen Thread Starter

OK, Whats toxic and what aint?

16. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

silcone is the std for joining glass, you get a glass glue but it has no give and your tank will crack due to torsion etc, silicone is your best bet hands down

i am in sandton and built plenty tanks

17. Galen

Galen Thread Starter

And what would you quote on the following dimensions - 1200x600x600 with cabinet and lighting :) Space for a 4 ft tank as a sump underneath
    800mm height for cabinet

18. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

tanks i can help make, i dont have any stand and cabinet skills :)

19. moe101

moe101

you totaly stopped with this thread.
    what happend.did you find someone who would build your tank for you?

Last edited: 13 Sep 2011
  20. ReefMaster

ReefMaster

this is better than 700 high, 450 high and 700 deep will give you better scaping opportunities

21. Manic

Manic Moderator

I have made a few tanks in my life (with help and training from Dallas). Any glue that needs to be backed will dry hard which will cause the glass to crack as soon as you fill it. The silicon adds some play to a tank which makes up for the stiffness of the glass. Silicon forms an extremely strong bond with glass (may not seem strong on other items, but on glass it is crazy strong) and also seals it at the same time.

Recent Posts