Something's chowing my Xenias

Tobes

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
What could be chowing my xenias? You can clearly see something's been nibbling on them the last few days, so much so that one "branch" or section disappeared completely.
My live stock:

Coral beauty
Long nose butterfly
Sailfin tang
Fire goby
Purple fire fish
Common clown
Algae blenny
Midas blenny
Tile fish
Sixline wrasse
Cleaner wrasse
False grammar(dottyback)
Manderin
2 x cleaner shrimps (very young)
1 x hermit crab

The xenias look healthy, always open when lights on and sometimes close at lights off. I know they spread quite fast, but still curious.:wave2:

moz

Reaction score
Don't worry just yet, once of the ways that xenias spread is by shedings branches sometime a whole polyp will disconnect from the rock and settle elsewhere. I though all my xenia's had been eaten until I found them in other parts of the tank.

Tobes

Retired Moderator
Reaction score

Tobes

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Don't worry just yet, once of the ways that xenias spread is by shedings branches sometime a whole polyp will disconnect from the rock and settle elsewhere. I though all my xenia's had been eaten until I found them in other parts of the tank.
You can see something is chowing them, and on that spot it looks like white meat and it gets smaller and smaller until gone. I've seen my xenia shed a ball of pollyps once, this is not the same.
Something's hungry...:p

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Tobes, you might need to do a night time watch, there may be a eunice worm or a crab munching on your xenia.

Tobes

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
I only got one hermie Weeman, will post you a pic of him.

Last edited:

Tobes

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Here is a pic of my xenias in the centre, the top part or branch closest to the leather is gone, consumed, chowed, MIA...

DSC01266-1.gif

Here another pic

DSC00536.gif

Tobes

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Here is a pic of my hermie, I doubt he consumed that whole piece in one night and still fit in his shell :p , he's about an inch long (25mm for the new generation :whistling: ).

DSC00837.gif

Tobes

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Heard one must put red sellofane over the torch head, prevent too much bright light causing goggos to hide and disappear.

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Heard one must put red sellofane over the torch head, prevent too much bright light causing goggos to hide and disappear.
It is thought that the fish and inverts don't see red light, a plastic carrier bag over the torch will work, just give it a little while after lights out for everything to settle down, then have a peek, you may be surprised what else you bought with your pet rocks.;)

Reaction score
It is thought that the fish and inverts don't see red light, a plastic carrier bag over the torch will work, just give it a little while after lights out for everything to settle down, then have a peek, you may be surprised what else you bought with your pet rocks.;)
And get some beers and start the long wait ;)

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
And to add, your wife will think you have finally gone mad and threaten to leave:whistling:

Tobes

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
I must not have too many :peroni: , cause later I might wonder where the "other" pincusion came from, and why there's 2 manderins and 4 seios in my tank:whistling:

Tobes

Retired Moderator
Reaction score

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
geeez, tell someone you have a lady friend and you're doomed to be ripped to shreds, you're all jealous. :nono:

I hope all of Tobes xenia get's chowed.... :lol: