Urgent help needed Something wrong with chromis's gill

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by SApicoreef, 4 Jan 2013.

1. SApicoreef

SApicoreef

While acclimating my 2 Banggai cardinals and 2 chromis I noticed some damage was done to one of the little guys gills...he is still acclimating right now and just wanted to know if I should add him to the tank or not as if Otis a parasite I don't want to infect the other fish

What should I do as quarantine is not a option

This could be damage and it could be a parasite

Although it seems to be clearly damage I just want to make sure it isn't damage. I can't pot pictures as my wifi is own and I'm posting this on the iPad so no pictures...shoud I just add him to the tank and see what happens

Thanks

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. raynow

raynow

Would say QT but as you can't, do a hour paraguard dip before adding him....

4. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

I would not just add the fish without establishing what the actual issue is. I think it would be very irresponsible and could be detrimental to the whole tank. Take the time out and post PIC's and get an idea of what the possibilities are.

5. raynow

raynow

Actually nemos is right not adding him. Just thought a para dip to see if you can't save him...

6. SApicoreef

SApicoreef Thread Starter

I can't post pictures but I will look in my disease book and see if It looks like something otherwise and if it does I'm going to have to flush it I think as I can't quarantine or do anything about it

7. raynow

raynow

Don't you have paraguard?

8. RocketRooster

RocketRooster

For god's sake if you end up flushing it at least euthanise it first.

9. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Please don't flush it. Give the fish a chance. Try and keep it alive in a container with a air stone until your WIFI is sorted, or a reefing Buddie can give some advice.

BTW the other fish could also be infected if it is a disease or parasite.

10. RocketRooster

RocketRooster

Would an iodine dip help at all, Keith? Or a lower/higher temp?

11. raynow

raynow

I will never flush a fish, will try everything possible to save it!!

12. SApicoreef

These fish were brought from the store as they got there shipment in so they were never in the stores tanks

All the other fish look goo and relaxed but this fish is at the water surface and moving his pectoral fish rapidly

I don't have paragaurd

Wifi won't be sorted for a while the guys in the store will only come next week Friday

What can I do to save it or euthanize it safely and not painful to the fish as if it is a disease I don't want it do die in pain

Thanks

13. SApicoreef

I can SMS picture to all of u and then u could post them if that is possible but they won't be the greatest quality

14. raynow

raynow

Don't know how you add fish to your main tank direcly from the shipment bag! Now things like this happens! Is there no fellow reefer with a QT that can help the poor fish out? The others may look good now but couldve anyways added disease to your tank already!

15. raynow

raynow

Take a pic with your phone and mms it to me!!

16. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

I also do not know how to download from iPhone pic to MASA. Perhaps someone can assist here.

Bud please never accept fish or corals that not been properly acclimated unless you have the facility/capacity to do so. Fish and corals need to be properly acclimated. pH burns are very commonly caused by ammonia and the drop of pH caused by CO2. This could be the cause of the redness to the gill (pH burn). It could also be gill flukes, damaged gill in handling or any other bacterial or fungal infection.

Lets see if we can get a pic to advise.

17. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Use your manage attachments tab below the quick reply box, another window should pop up, then take the pic and upload.

18. SApicoreef

The gill is no red at all.. I think it is damaged gill during handling as I have looked through my disease book and it doesn't look like any of the things u have mentioned. I had a look from the bottom of the container and found its not actually on the gill it is on the belly of the fish

Any ideas now what the could be.... Also it doesn't look like a bacterial infection as I have seen many of those when I was breeding discus

I'm going to get shouted at a lot but I'm going to add him to the tank under the believe that he is just damaged himself during shipping

Also I will never buy as soon as the store gets there stock again

Really sorry to waste your guys time... Really appreciate all of u who replied and I made a mistake getting while he was still in the bag

Thanks for the help guys

Tristan

19. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Not waisting anybodies time bud. This is what this forum is all about. Helping each other and giving opinions. Try and get that pic up

20. SApicoreef

I thinki was just over reacting

The fish are in the Tank and everything looks okay except they are both hiding under rocks

Coral is super luminous and the cardinals are swimming around and sticking together...think I might have a pair!!!

I'm sure the chromis will be okay in the end....
    Thanks for the help guys

21. SApicoreef

Feed the tank with some cyclops eez and the cardinals went crazy...chromis were still hiding in there rock but I'm sure then hunger will drive them out there ole to eat...

Recent Posts