Something wierd is going on

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Paul B, 8 Jun 2013.

1. Paul B

Paul B

For the last year or so something in my tank is just not right. I mean, it is better and I don't know why. The corals should be shrinking or dying but instead, they are growing faster than they ever did. Some pieces like this guy pictures a year ago was the same size for many years but now it is growing pretty fast. The last time I tested the nitrates they were over 40. Closer to 50. Normally that is considered toxic to corals.
    The acropora and montipora are also growing to such an extent that I have to keep fragging them just so I can clean the glass. I know this is a good problem, but anything that happens that is different from the norm bothers me. I don't know why this is happening but I wish I knew because I know that when this cycle of growth and health ends, the other part of the spectrum could happen where everything will start dying and I still won't know why. This is also the first time in the history of the tank that the SPS, LPS and leathers are all thriving. Usually one of the other thrives while the others shrivel. Even all the paired fish are spawning and I have not done anything to the tank different than I always do which is almost nothing.
    I do notice that I have to clean the glass almost every day now and I used to go a week between cleanings. Due to the growth I am not sure how I am going to do my yearly maintenance where I stir up everything with a diatom filter and suck out the debris because I can't move any rocks any more without breaking things. I don't like it when I don't understand things, kind of like talking to a woman, I am usually just dumfounded.
    This was last year and this has not shown growth in years.
    [​IMG]
    That same piece here has protrusions all over it. I know it doesn't look like much, but for a coral that didn't do anything for maybe 8 years, it is huge.
    [​IMG]
    This monti also grows all over the place as I keep accidently breaking it when I am doing something and it just sticks to a rock and grows like crazy. This picture is a couple of months old, that coral is much larger now.
    [​IMG]
    This sponge takes up about a quarter of the tank and I am going to start giving pieces of it away because it is covering some corals. It is about a foot across and 2 years ago it was the size of a dime. This is also an older picture.
    [​IMG]
    Organ pipe coral I never used to be able to keep, now I have a few pieces a few years old and is my favorite pieces as they show a lot of movement.
    [​IMG]
    I do realize this is a good "problem" but when something happens, and you don't know why, That is "almost" as bad as when something bad happened and you don't know why. My tank has never been wall to wall corals as that is not the look I am going for. There are about 25 fish in there and I like to have some swimming room.
    Almost all of my corals started as tiny frags that I was given for free because they were just bits and pieces of broken shards in a dealer's tank.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Hey @Paulb if you find out let us all know.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  4. Paul B

Paul B Thread Starter

I would love to find out so I can do more of it.

5. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

nitrites over 40... that's like Chernobyl for corals. maybe you have some super mutants growing there.
    surely a man with your experience will figure it out. by the way do you ever test for calcium, magnesium and alkalinity. the red sea reef care program recons that elevated quantity of those will cause corals to grow faster. perhaps the answer is there

6. Paul B

Paul B Thread Starter

No, and don't call me Surely :biggrin:

Last edited: 8 Jun 2013
  7. Dorry

Dorry dorry

Hi Paul B, I also try to understand about sps. they need this clean and strong flow and certain water conditions, i see sps growing in rock pools not one but few, standing in water not that clean and whaithing for hi tide again. i will take pic for you, and post it. when i first saw it, still do, then when i put 1 and 1 together not getting to. How is your BABY Octopus. Send us once a while a pic of her, she is beatiful.

8. sihaya

sihaya

How old is the system? IMO, it takes at least a year (and more likely two years) for a tank to fully "mature." Moreover, the clock probably doesn't start until after the aquarist stops messing with it (i.e. adding/changing things throughout the initial learning curve).

I do believe that, in some cases, it's when the aquarist finally "gives up" that things start to settle down and settle in -- due to a consistancy born of resignation/acceptance.

When I was a newbie aquarist, I always used to wonder why my aquarium corals seemed to do so well while I was out of town... ;)

9. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

@Paulb tank is years old. That's the secret!

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  10. sihaya

sihaya

How many years? If it's 5 years old (without any major changes in the past 3 years), then I'd agree this unexplained growth IS a bit odd...

11. the fish

the fish

@sihaya i believe his sytem is over 25 years old now. think bordering 40 years

12. sihaya

sihaya

Oh, then this IS wierd.. :confused1:

13. the fish

the fish

tank getting to naughty 40's. doing weird things that baffles the mind:lol:

14. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

:lol: Yes, it is very interesting!

15. the fish

the fish

maybe its hitting menopause:whistling:

16. sihaya

sihaya

How old are the corals themselves?

17. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

the less you stick your hands into the water, the better your tank will do.
    The less you fiddle, the better.

I'm away a lot this year, and my tank is doing very good. My own proof.

18. Dorry

Dorry dorry

Paul B talking about corals not growing for many years, standing still from last year suddenly corals starting grow and growing fast. He didn't ad or change any thing for years. .

19. sihaya

sihaya

Yeah, this is why I keep telling my husband to stop "petting" the corals... :(

20. Paul B

Paul B Thread Starter

The system is running for 42 years. Some of the corals are 8 or 10 years old, some older, I don't remember, some of the fish are 19 years old. Do you think it is cycled :biggrin:.
    This is just a cycle and it will change. Some years there is a cycle of hair algae, then cycno may last a couple of years, then I will get flatworms for a year then maybe brittle stars, bristle worms, lettuce slugs, next may be a cycle of manta rays.
    It would be nice to know why everything is getting along and growing so fast. Those monti pora's I could frag every week and wherever they fall, they grow. There are so many because I keep acidently breaking it when I stick my hand or a Majano Wand in there.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 11 Jun 2013
  21. the fish

the fish

@Paul B what ever you are doing, you are doing it right:lol:. i wouldn't ask questions when my corals start growing like crazy... i would probably just blame nature:biggrin:

Recent Posts