Something weird need answers

Reaction score
hey guys i got something at the LFS.
A feather starfish
I got it as it is so beautiful and weird.

Now maybe i shouldn't have. but like alot of you guys i am looking for strange things to stick in my tank now. But did some research to find out they are very very hard to keep. now i am fine with keeping hard things such as sun corals and stuff.
I would like your opinion on this subject.esp wee-man midasblenny should i
1) keep it
2) give it back
3) does anyone want to buy it.

Reaction score
Mike, I think donovan is a reasonable guy. I'd phone him and ask if you can return it

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Starfish in general are hard to keep long term, the feather star, is that a crinoid startfish? if so take it back as soon as you can, very difficult to keep.

Good luck.

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
Good move taking it back, I tried twice with them, really beautiful creatures but at that stage I just didn't know enough to keep them alive and they both died.

Here is a pic of the first one I had about 3 years ago.

IMGP0010.jpg

Reaction score
You know that if one of it's tentacles are cut off, it can create another creature from the cut-off tentacle.

The tentacle carries on moving and this happens for days and weeks after the cut as the new creature's structure is being grown.

Reaction score
Ditto to what everyone said. Nearly a certainty that it would/might die.
Hey Jaquesb.I see Santamonica mentioned that he was able to keep the feather quite successfully as a result of the algae scrubber not removing the biological stuff in the water. I read that the stars really need alot of continuous food in the water wich a skimmer tends to prevent,...not that I know much,but im interested to know if it would be possible to keep one happy as a result of different filtration methods.What do you think
000200C1.gif
000200BE.gif

Reaction score
They need loads of plankton, which the sea does well, but hard to replicate in closed systems

Reaction score
Awesome creature but I don't know of anyone that has managed to keep it alive either. It's a pity though cause it's one of the most beautifull creatures in our oceans...

Reaction score
yep i also had one which i caught myself in durban but unfortunately i could not keep it alive even though i tried feeding it coral liquid.....this is simply not meant to be kept in our tanks,what a pity though as they do look stunning.