Something some may find interesting relating to marine algae.

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by pkc, 30 Mar 2013.

1. pkc

pkc

With in my algae area for the importing of nutrients and subsequent balancing of these nutrients has been an interesting development!
    Not long after setting up this area I had two major mishaps in 2011 and virtually wiped out the racemosa algae I use.
    Out of desperation, on a club collecting trip I collected some surge zone taxifolia from the area on the sunshine coast where it was first discovered in the late 70s by a research group to get at least some importing going as I had no idea how incredible the local form of racemosa was going to become.
    Amongst the taxifolia new forms of it appeared and were quite different to the original and after a few months they remained in place and the same shape even as I trimmed them as with all my algae.
    I separated the ones on sections of the main stem, removing the original forms to place this new form on its own.
    Now it’s completed becoming an individual and has not reverted back to what it was! So now this new form is starting to take over its corner of the algae area. It is tough, very aggressive at growth and is more rigid then its former self.
    To prove it is a new form of taxifolia,I will have to con someone into a gene test that hopefully Jeff at the Q museum can organise. Or if I pay the associate for the herbarium I have conversed with, or she may be interested her self in what it really is.
    She is the one that passed on the information about the original form of taxifolia that comes from Auz that geneticists from her group have proved also that its variant is infesting the world. It appears that the original mutated in sewerage affected waters on the sunshine coast. Now it is semi new pest through out the world, put there by ships ballasts!
    These ships park in wait to be guided into Moreton bay, just off shore from where this form of caulerpa was first discovered! It maybe nothing, but it sure is interesting.
    Needless to say until I find out if it is of the same genetic code, it is disposed of properly!

This is it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are not stunted or in any way immature, this is at each forms largest size.

The numbers are, for 1 it is the original taxifolia,then 2 is the form that is infecting the world, then 3 is the one that came to pass in my alga area and is doing very well.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 30 Mar 2013
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Fred d

Fred d

This wis what grows in my refugium . Scary how much it looks like your pics

suspected%20taxfolia.jpg

4. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

@Fred d
    I had those some time back. They went sexual twice in four months. They grow like crazy.

Just keep an eye on them, and prune regularly. If they run out of space or food, they go sexual. When I got home from work they looked like half cooked spinach. First time had 2 short branches left that regrow quickly.

5. pkc

pkc Thread Starter

You are kidding right? Yours is racemosa and the forms are nothing similar. I use a form of racemosa as well along with 20 or so other forms of algae! How could you even slightly compare the two? The extensions are sharp and semi curved and the shaft is nothing similar to your racemosa.
    I have been using algae for 100 percent water conditioning for a while now,this enables no skimmers or water changes and the algae you have,is part of the reason why it can be done.
    Have a look through the link and you will see a very similar racemosa to yours that I use as well.
    Take a close up pic of yours and you will see yours is nothing similar,except it is a form of caulerpa!
    http://southeastqueenslandm.aforumfree.com/t1205-caulerpa-and-other-algae-found-near-brisbane-in-seq

6. Fred d

Fred d

Sorry @pkc didn't wanna offend you , to be honest , I didn't realise that there's such a big diffenence between them . For what its worth , it grows like crazy and keeps the nutrients in check .
    @RiaanP thanks for the heads up bud . The leaves grow ubbelievably fast , I would say about a centemetre every 2 or 3 days as for the stembs , I try and keep them at about 3 or 4 inches in length . They almost double in length within 4 to 6 weeks . Its a bit of work but it also gives me a chance to give to fellow reefers .

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  7. pkc

pkc Thread Starter

I have been pruning mine since 2011 at rate of growth to needing pruning each 6 days as it grows out of the water at that stage. Caulerpa goes sexual as a result of mistakes and the incorrect use of it; if I don’t trim mine it does not go sexual. I haven’t caused caulerpa to go sexual since the late 90s by providing all that they need and learning a lot from those days of mistakes and a lack of knowledge.

8. pkc

pkc Thread Starter

The racemosa you have combined with a few other forms has the potential to do things most would not believe is possible.

9. Fred d

Fred d

Sounds quite radical \ out there .... Do good or do bad ?

10. pkc

pkc Thread Starter

Nature,as in plant life, is doing the same thing around us all the time.

My algae area needing to be trimmed.
    [​IMG]

When mine is covered it doesn’t go sexual, it just drops its pigment and keeps growing.
    Caulerpa can do this and grow as if it is still photosynthesising; obviously it can’t with out its pigments. How it can increase in size and live this way I have no idea, but it does!
    [​IMG]

An extremely important thing for algae growth is dosing of calcium, iodide and more, that equates to the same needs as corals, algae needs as well, but in much larger amounts if you use it for exporting nutrients, you know, when you trim it and through the trimmings away.

This the cal content of it.
    Fresh cut.
    [​IMG]
    Two months out in the weather.
    [​IMG]
    This shows how rigid the calcium content makes this form of caulerpa.
    [​IMG]

nakoma likes this.
  11. Fred d

Fred d

i received advise from someone i trust about keeping caulerpa and he told me , rule number 1 is not to mix one kind of caulerpa with another . the words he used was chemical warfare . the last thing i want is some kind of chemical timebomb in my watercolumn so i kept th strongest grower and donated the rest to those in need

please would you share your know how with me in respect with keeping more than one species of this algae in a refugium .

ps . i know from reading some that its good for exporting phosphates and nitrates amongst other nutrients . my question is if there is a way of controling silicates by means of a combination different caulerpa strains

12. pkc

pkc Thread Starter

In my algae area I keep mainly our local racemosa form as the main importer-converter ,with a small amount of surge zone taxifolia and the one that new thing came from it,some peltata,some brachypus,slight traces of chaetomorpha,pink deficiens sponge,and a orange variety I cant remember its name,then two types of cyano,some worm weed,the two forms of martensia fragilis and several flexable corallines.

The racemosa is the main one visible, though all, including the sponges do an enormous amount of water conditioning when combined.

I grow them all on a form of dead coralline, I call them rollers due to their shape and they carry out some aerobic and anaerobic work and all this is on a floor of egg crate with a 40 mill gap under it, so that no organics congregate in this area that can not be cleaned out easily.

I have herd all the theories and found that some of my past ways were dysfunctional as I tried out all kinds of combinations that I could think of, but the ways I have worked up to, with the length I cut it at, the flow in the area, the varied species of importers, the lighting, it all makes thing so much easier for all life to exist in my waters with more or less, no mechanical filtration and I don’t have to do water changes if I do not want to.

Also I never rely on single or multiple celled algae to import nitrate, it is a recipe for disaster!
    I never use any for that! Not saying it doesn’t happen incidentally, but to rely on it in any way,I found is a bad situation waiting to show it self!

Last edited by a moderator: 31 Mar 2013
Recent Posts