Urgent help needed Something fishy?

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by Bflynn, 26 Nov 2013.

1. Bflynn

Bflynn

Fish just swimming weird as soon as lights go on. I check my tank every morning before lights go on. This morning every thing was fine, all fish totally normal. My lights come on at 9am, as soon as they did my one PJ cardinal just started swimming upside down on the bottem of the tank. Yesterday same thing with a Chromis. And two months ago a Domino damsel. I gave the PJ a nudge and now it seems ok again. I tested my water yesterday after Chromis died. All params are in check, Ph was low at 7.6. Lights did just go on. This has never happened to my oldest residence in tank. Only seems to effect new fish.

I have a closed hood. Is it possibly a light shock that only effects one fish at a time? I have never shocked on my tank. I check all my equipment?

The only other thing I can think of is, I recently added new seachum phosgaurd. And also added at the time I lost the Domino. I do rinse it before adding in a bag running through an aquaclear HOB filter?

I did also add a new wave maker 3000L/H in DT 600 x 600 x 350. Is it possible fish are swimming to hard and getting stressed?

I aquamate all fish in the water I get them in and drip DT water in till I have about three time the volume of water I got the fish in. Takes about an 1 and a half hours.

I did add some Red Sea buffer yesterday as well. I dont think that has anything to do with it.

Anybody know what is going on?
    It is really frustrating. I have just got my tank going nicely again after a tank crash. I also put alot of effort into upgrading my filtration and pumps.

I dont have any corals. I clean my tank and around my tank myself. Domestic does not go near it.

Im at a loss!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Bflynn

Bflynn Thread Starter

Is it possible fish just get a fright? Heart attack? I know this is a stupid question, but that is what it looks like. They dont even loose color. They just spaz out!

4. Randywizard

Randywizard

i had some issues with the RSM NO3-PO reducer where an overdose caused the tank to loose too much oxygen?

stressed my cardinals out but they recovered now so i only use it on change water

5. Bflynn

Bflynn Thread Starter

You might be on to something!!! Now that I think about it I did dose microlife s2 around the time the Damsel died. Could have been same problem. Depleting oxygen supply while stressing the fish. I put an airstone in the tank this afternoon and PJ cardinal seems to be ok! Its swimming normal and just ate. I hope that this is solved now. I will have to get more oxygen into the water.

6. Bflynn

Bflynn Thread Starter

Anybody got another idea of what could be going on? I tested tank for current with a multimeter and nothing.

7. Bflynn

Bflynn Thread Starter

Any advice on this guys! Shoe! Forum dead today:whistling:

8. Toolboysa

Toolboysa Moderator

I have no idea. Very bizarre though

9. Riaanvw

Riaanvw

No idea, but would like to read what the advance members on this forum have to say, so tagging along.

10. Toolboysa

Toolboysa Moderator

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  11. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

what exactly did you test and what where the results please

This is very low. I suspect an issue here. anything below 7.9 is gonna ring a bell

12. Bflynn

Bflynn Thread Starter

Ammonia = 0
    Nitrites = 0
    Nitrates = 0
    Ph = 7.6
    Kh =7
    Salinity 25
    Temp 27

Sure! I agree, although I tested at about 9;30am Lights come on at nine. I will have to test again tomorrow evening to check if Ph is up.

If my Ph is to low, what would be the safest solution to get it back up to 8.2 ?

Last edited: 26 Nov 2013
  13. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

do you dose anything else?

Can dose slaked lime, to push PH up a bit. else Aquavitro 8.4 as you do not have corals to use the calcium.

Is the room very dark? Or is their enough ambient light so that fish are actually out and about already by the time the lights do go on?

14. Bflynn

Bflynn Thread Starter

@butcherman just tested ph, is now 8.4, lights went off at 8pm. Can't test Kh now, will do tomorrow.

15. Bflynn

Bflynn Thread Starter

Sun light comes in from sliding door in morning, they are out and about by the time lights go on.

No corals at all. Also not to much coraline at the moment.
    @RiaanP

16. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Doubt then that they will get a freight that could give heart attacks then.

something else is not right? What is the max for the PH during the day?

17. Bflynn

Bflynn Thread Starter

Last week I tested Ph8.4 on Wednesday about 4pm. I will test tomorrow afternoon again. But I have been super cautious with my Ph. I lost all my corals too a sudden Ph drop.

18. Bflynn

Bflynn Thread Starter

Sorry missed this! I dose Red Sea BUFF 5ml every Monday, Red Sea Iodine once a month, but hant dosed the last two months as I dont have a test kit anymore and microlife-s2 bacterial suspension once a month. I have recently started with Seachum phosgaurd, and also using super activated carbon. I have been using carbon since I started the tank.

19. Bflynn

Bflynn Thread Starter

I havnt got a phosphate test and cant get one now. I know I have a phosphate problem, because I have cayano and green hair algae. Although, green hair algae is going away. As far as I know, phosphates dont effect fish do they?

20. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

a PH swing is acceptable, as long as its within the same boundaries per day. It does not really need to be 100% constant every minute of the day.

But a swing of 8.4 to 7.6 is rather extreme. And 7.6 is very low.

Mine runs without the slaked lime in the reactor at 7.8 to 8.1
    Been on that for years. Due to low KH from the Aquamedic salt. Other salt brands could have higher KH results.

Boosting your KH reading a bit, to 9, would make the PH swing less.

Best to also ask other guys, like @dallasg
    The guys running SPS systems. I got a softy dominated system and do not care about any additional dosing. For SPS its a lot more crucial to keep readings stable.

21. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

maybe take some water to your LFS and have it re-tested there. One of your test could be old, outdated or simply incorrect, leading you down a false path. Second tests will either confirm your readings, or show that you need to replace your test kit or components thereof

Recent Posts