Something about the make up of algae!

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by pkc, 10 Nov 2013.

1. pkc

pkc

I have told other reefers about this in the past but they don't realise its relevance and with the trendy named refuge, its never been more important.

The caulerpa that is pictured and I mainly use is a form of racemosa and it has pretty much the same content of calcium carbonate as with all other caulerpa that I have used which are the most commonly available to reefers.

Think about it guys, on one hand as a minor issue cal and all it needs to bind is being extracted from your waters for algae growth and the next more important issue is some of you have this growing above a porus substrate or over porous live rock, the caulerpa doesn’t just come like this in the pics, tiny segments die and all algae sheds to grow and some portions are bitten off and this is going on all of the time.

Wherever you put algae you are adding a blocking substance that will seal up areas that needs a porus nature to remain functional.

Also when with in low PH environments like in substrates and in live or base rock, precipitation can be quite intense along with orthophosphate ready now that PH is below 7.8 inside there to make it bind with something once again.

If used correctly, this is not an issue, but for most reefers that use an average refuge, its not good!

Freshly trimmed.
    [​IMG]

This was on my shed roof in the weather for nearly 4 months.
    [​IMG]

After that length of time its cal make up and more is still capable of holding up the weight of two twenty cent coins.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 10 Nov 2013
Recent Posts