Some stuped Q?

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by ml, 16 Mar 2009.

1. ml

ml

hi
    Just like to say that it's going great with me and my fishes. A new member in my tank a Foxface. Beautifull fish. Don't worry his doing very good acsoly great to say.
    But just to get to the pont. Here is some questions
    1) What is the diffres between useing a dsb and just plane cruched coral with some live rock?
    2) what do you put into a CAreactor?
    3) what is the best way of removing PO4 in your tank
    4) the hairy algea was coushed by a Fulty propeller will post a pic soon (foon is broken so notaken a good q pic )
    5) how do you know a x-mas tree is died ?

Sorry for all the questions but it's in my head and I cant get rid of it
    I am now actuly sopose to study NAS but is't to easy for me .

Kind Regards
    ML:thumbup::(

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. scubaninja

scubaninja

hope this helps

4. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hello Morne! Baie goed om van jou te hoor! Ek hoop dat die boek jou darem kon uithelp. Verstaan jy darem alles in die boek? ? Het jy al iets geleer van die boek?

Ek sal my antwoorde eers in Afrikaans tik, en dan in Ingels ;) (vir ons ingelse vriende ;))

Eerstens, baie geluk met jou nuwe vissie: jy moet weer een of ander tyd vir ons 'n foto of 2 post.

Hier is die antwoorde vir jou vrae:
    1) 'n DSB (Deep Sand bed) is 'n sand bed in jou tenk, en/of in jou tenk se sump. Die sand korreltjies se grein MOET 'n sekere grootte wees. Gewoonlik tussen 0.05mm en 1mm groot. Die sand bed se diepte, MOET tussen 120mm en 150mm diep wees. Die water met die detritus/gemors word dan deur die goggatjies in the sand bed ingewerk (deur hulle aksies en vibrasies)... die 1ste 5cm van die sand bed word bewoon deur suurstofliewende bakteriee.... die laag tussen 5cm en 7cm is 'n mengsel van suurstofliewende bakteriee, en bakteriee wat glad nie suurstof kan verwerk nie. Onder die 7cm laag, lewe NET bakteriee wat geen suurstof benodig nie.
    Dit is HIERDIE bakteriee wat die nitrate afbreek na stikstof, suurstof en waterstof.

Gewone "chrushed coral" is maar net groter stukkies gebreekte koraal - om jou tenk "mooi te maak lyk" - dit het nie regtig enigsinds enige goeie doel in die tenk nie.

2) "crushed coral" - gebreekte koraal word in 'n Ca (calcium) reaktor gesit. Koolstof dioksied (carbon dioxide) word gebruik om die water se suurheidsgraad (pH) te verlaag, dat die gebreekte koraal afgebreek word na hulle laagste wetenskaplike anorganiese boustene...

3) Die beste maniere om fosfate (PO4) uit jou tenk te haal, is OF of fosfaat verwyderaar (soos SeaChem PhosGuard) te gebruik, OF vir jouself 'n "algae scrubber" te bou. 'n Algae scrubber, is maar net 'n "fancy" naam vir alge wat op iets of binne jou sump groei, wat verwyder word - die verwyderde alge sorg dat die fosfate verwyder word....

5. lIghty

lIghty

Bring the Qs on, that what we are here for;)

6. lIghty

lIghty

Dankie? :lol::lol::lol:

7. seank

seank

Hallo Ml, het jou gister probeer bel, maar jou foon gaan op voicemail. Sms my as jy by die foon is sodat ek jou kan bel

8. jacquesb

Sorry lIghty - I lost my internet connection after I posted - let me translate:
    Afrikaans:
    ---------
    "Hello Morne! Baie goed om van jou te hoor! Ek hoop dat die boek jou darem kon uithelp. Verstaan jy darem alles in die boek? ? Het jy al iets geleer van die boek?

Ek sal my antwoorde eers in Afrikaans tik, en dan in Ingels (vir ons ingelse vriende )

Eerstens, baie geluk met jou nuwe vissie: jy moet weer een of ander tyd vir ons 'n foto of 2 post.

Hier is die antwoorde vir jou vrae:
    1) 'n DSB (Deep Sand bed) is 'n sand bed in jou tenk, en/of in jou tenk se sump. Die sand korreltjies se grein MOET 'n sekere grootte wees. Gewoonlik tussen 0.05mm en 1mm groot. Die sand bed se diepte, MOET tussen 120mm en 150mm diep wees. Die water met die detritus/gemors word dan deur die goggatjies in the sand bed ingewerk (deur hulle aksies en vibrasies)... die 1ste 5cm van die sand bed word bewoon deur suurstofliewende bakteriee.... die laag tussen 5cm en 7cm is 'n mengsel van suurstofliewende bakteriee, en bakteriee wat glad nie suurstof kan verwerk nie. Onder die 7cm laag, lewe NET bakteriee wat geen suurstof benodig nie.
    Dit is HIERDIE bakteriee wat die nitrate afbreek na stikstof, suurstof en waterstof.

Gewone "chrushed coral" is maar net groter stukkies gebreekte koraal - om jou tenk "mooi te maak lyk" - dit het nie regtig enigsinds enige goeie doel in die tenk nie.

2) "crushed coral" - gebreekte koraal word in 'n Ca (calcium) reaktor gesit. Koolstof dioksied (carbon dioxide) word gebruik om die water se suurheidsgraad (pH) te verlaag, dat die gebreekte koraal afgebreek word na hulle laagste wetenskaplike anorganiese boustene...

3) Die beste maniere om fosfate (PO4) uit jou tenk te haal, is OF of fosfaat verwyderaar (soos SeaChem PhosGuard) te gebruik, OF vir jouself 'n "algae scrubber" te bou. 'n Algae scrubber, is maar net 'n "fancy" naam vir alge wat op iets of binne jou sump groei, wat verwyder word - die verwyderde alge sorg dat die fosfate verwyder word...."

English:
    -------
    Hello Morne! Very good to hear from you! I hope that the book have been able to help you out. Do you / did you understand everything in the book? Have you learnt anything from the book yet?

I will type my answers in Afrikaans first, and then in English (for our English friends):
    Firstly, congratulations with your new fish - you must post a picture for us again, some time or another.

Here's the answers to your questions:
    1) A DSB (Deep sand bed) is a sand-bed in your tank, or in your tank's sump. The sand particles MUST be a certain sizing. Usually between 0.05mm and 1mm. The sand-bed's depth, MUST be between 120mm and 150mm. The water with the detritus/crap then get's worked into the sand bed, by the worms and critters (through their actions and vibrations). The 1st 5cm of the sand-bed is populated by aerobic bacteria. The section between 5cm and 7cm is a mixture between aerobic and an-aerobic bacteria. Below the 7cm layer, only an-aerobic bacteria survices, as most of the oxygen have then been used up already in the water.
    It is this an-aerobic bacteria, that breaks nitrates to nitrogen, oxygen and hydrogen.

Normal "crushed coral" is only bigger pieces of broken coral - this is sold "just to make your tank look nice" - it does not really have any real value in our marine tanks.

2) "crushed coral" is placed in a Ca (calcium) reactor. Carbon dioxide is then used to lower the pH of the water, in order that the crushed coral, be broken down to calcium and hydrocarbonates.

3)The best way to remove phosphates out of your tank's water, is EITHER to use a phosphate remover media, ie SeaChem PhosGuard, OR to build yourself an algae scrubber. An Algae scrubber, is only a "fancy" name for algae that is being used in either a seperate tank/refugium, or in your sump - you should constantly remove a certain amount of the algae. The algae that have been removed, ensures that the nutrients that have been locked into the algae, also get's removed from the tank/system.

9. crispin

crispin

hey ml:)

good to hear from you and that you ahve a new fish. Foxfaces are great fish, lovely algae eaters, nice to hear he has settled in. Is he still going from yellow to brown and black? they are funny the way they change color due to stress.

Jacques gave you great answers there so I'm not going to add anything, but nice to know you are still with us:)

ps jacques, excelent replies and thanks for taking the time over the translations you really do go the extra step for masa and its greatly appreciated.

10. ml

ml Thread Starter

HI

Stuped MTN there was a problem with them yesterday, everyones fone was off.

11. lIghty

lIghty

thanks Jacques:)

12. jacquesb

;) Anytime lIghty - as I said - I had internet problems ;)

13. chris

chris

Goeie afrikaans daar jacques,seke n rukkie gevat om te vertaal van engels na afrikaans:lol::lol::lol:

14. ml

ml Thread Starter

Cripin
    My foxface is doing very well seteld in. I forgot to menson have bouth a boxing shrimp to with the foxface.

Here is Question:
    1) What is the minimun that your tank has to curculate thuwe you sump?
    2) Can people that has no DSB live wihtout one. because I have alot of goggos in my sump too and I dont have a DSB.
    3) If you have 3 corals and alot of coral (died, cruched) do you have to dose Ca
    4) What must you PH and saltrasio be

Thats all for now
    ML

15. ml

ml Thread Starter

Who builds tanks around the Roodepoort of Krugersdorp area? Need help fixing a tank a build from scrach soort of leeks.

16. jacquesb

Hi Morne - I will FIRST type in English, then Afrikaans - else I have people complaining again :)

Here's you answers:
    1) the minimum water flow through your tank's sump, is for example: 1000 litres per hour. The BEST flow through the sump, is that the detritus can settle in your tank's sump.... So - the slower - the better....
    You want HUGE water flow INSIDE your display tank, NOT in your tank's sump..
    2) Yes - you do not HAVE TO HAVE a DSB (deep sand bed) - but it is better to have one. If you DON'T have a DSB, you need at least an algae scrubber, and/or a HUGE skimmer..... else your water parameters will be on the "high nutrient scale", where-as you would want to have it on the "low nutrient scale" ideally.
    3) Yes Morne - ANY corals requires Calcium. You can dose calcium in the form of "Calcium hydroxide" (slaked lime = gebluste kalk) - which you can get at any chemist/pharmacy - it is usually available in boxes of 50 grams - you can just dose a tee-spoon full every day in your tank.
    4) pH of your tank MUST be in the region between 7.8 and 8.6. The "salt-ratio" or rather salinity, must be between 1.023 and 1.026. Nothing less, nothing more.
    The SaltGrade (SG) is between 32 and 36.

Hier is jou antwoorde in afrikaans Morne:
    1) die minimum water vloei in jou tenk se sump, is omtrent so 1000 liter per uur. Om die waarheid te se, is die HEEL beste water vloei in jou sump, NET vinnig genoeg sodat die detritus kan afsak na jou DSB toe... So - hoe stadiger, hoe beter....
    2) Morne - jy kan 'n tenk he SONDER 'n DSB (deep sand bed) - maar dan MOET jy ten minste 'n alge scrubber en 'n redelike groot skimmer te he..... 'n DSB is goedkoop - dit kos omtrent R40 vir 'n 20 kilogram sak "playsand" - speel-sand, by Builder's Warehouse.
    So - dit is definitief die moeite werd om dit te he...
    3) Ja Morne - ENIGE korale het kalsium nodig. So, ja, jy moet verkieslik kalsium byvoeg. Jy kan baie goedkoop en baie maklik kalsium byvoeg in jou tenk, deur om "kalsium hidroksied" te gebruik (dit is "Gebluste Kalk" wat jy by ENIGE apteek behoort te kan kry) - dit kos omtrent so R7 or R9 vir 'n 50 gram boksie met poeier.....
    Jy kan vir JOU tenk so 'n tee-lepel vol elke aand voer.... Dit is meer as genoeg.

17. ml

ml Thread Starter

I will take my water to Isak and let him test everything for me (sterlig kweekery at the back)
    PS I dont have a sump build for a DSB need the money (R500) for sump. See post14

18. jacquesb

ml - you don't need to spend that money on a sump - you can have a DSB in the display tank, and perhaps later on, when you do have the money, get a hang-on skimmer for your tank.

19. ml

ml Thread Starter

I have 2 skimmers one is a octo DWN 150 rated for 500l or something like that but I have a tank that is build but is not 100% strait(reguit glas buig met 'n boog ) tryed to build my own sump . even have all the things I need. My sump I have is like 100% incloused cant changes it now tank already has so much life in it.

20. jacquesb

OK - ek verstaan Morne... Dit is 'n baie goeie skimmer daardie - ek dink dit is tog vir 750 liter "ge-rate".... :)

21. ml

ml Thread Starter

Kannie op sit nie sump is stuped.
    sal 'n pic post.

Recent Posts