some questions.

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Kevin34PE, 19 Mar 2013.

1. Kevin34PE

Kevin34PE

Hi,I have a few questions for my bigger tank with a sump etc. If the are of the base is 2200 x 700, how deep should the sand/aragonite be on the bottom in display tank be? Can I use normal sea sand? If I have to use aragonite,how many kilograms would be suffiecient for the base of the display tank. In the sump I was running live rock and dsb in seperate sections,is it correct? Or should I go dsb in both sections? Also if I put in base and live rock into the display tank,will it be a problem if I add more base rock at a later stage after cycle has compleated if there is space/ gaps in tank that needs filling,or would this start a cycle again from the beginning?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

bottom of display anything between 30 and 40mm.
    Easy to calculate, 2200*700*30/1000000 = 46.2L of sand.
    40-mm is 61.6L

I used real sea sand, Did the similar calculation and it was a lot of sand to bring up in a big tub. Was very heavy as well. Car rear-end did show the extra weight it was carrying.

I would rather use the expensive liverock in my display than hide it in the sump. Anyway the sand provides a lot more surface area than the rock for bacteria to populate.

Adding base rock later, if its clean, never used base rock, then it should be OK, I would fill a bucket with old tank water and place the base rock in there for a month or so.

4. Kevin34PE

Kevin34PE Thread Starter

The live rock I am going to use is bits and pieces collected and given to me from friends who collected,not much to look at,but cost nothing. Think will also go for natural sea sand as a base in display as its available on the beach. Why must the new old base rock be laft in old tank water before using?

5. Kevin34PE

Kevin34PE Thread Starter

Is it wrong to use the existing rock I have in my sump with the dsb next to it in the next chamber? Or could this work maybe?

6. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

a DSB should be as big as possible. How wide is your sump? Front to back?

If you are worried that they will cause a cycle, let it cause it in the bucket. Just a better option.

7. Kevin34PE

Kevin34PE Thread Starter

The sump is 2 standard 3 foot tanks joined to make one long tank not sure of the widthe,I think its 30 or 35cm. So let's say for example the length of the complete sump which is 1.84m long by 35 wide,and we can divide it into 6ths. I am using 1/6 for my skimmers, 2/6 for my live rock. 2/6 for my dsb 15cm deep and 1/6 for return pump.

8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

on a 300 wide sump, you need a return pump that delivers at least 2000L/h into your display. So after head height lost. Reckon a 3000L/h pump would be ok, depending on elbows and return pump thickness. But a 3000L/h would give enough flow over your DSB

The rock in the sump VS sand, it is about how much surface areas you can get for the bacteria. Sand just have more than rock. Your choice.

9. Kevin34PE

Kevin34PE Thread Starter

I'm running a 20mm pipe as a return,the height rating on the pump is I think 2.5m but the differnce in height from return pump to dt is only 1.2m which water goes up in 20mm pipe,I am also running a small pump with a pipe from return punp chamber to the skimmer chamber to increase flow over rocks and dsb.

Recent Posts