Some questions on Flow?

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by ziyaadb, 2 May 2009.

1. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

Ok I want a mixed reef with SPS, LPS - specificly torches, hammers, euplhiles(spelling) and a few softies. I have 2 seio M1500's 6000Lph currently.(they will be getting modified for more flow)

My intention is to build a platform on the base of the tank with Eggcrate so that all the liverock is elavated, wont be very high i would say about 1cm.
    I would then want to add 2*5000Lph pumps on the back pane of the tank at an angle so that the water flow moves under the eggcrate and between the liverock with a great amount bouncing of the front glass(hope that makes sense) I want as much random flow as possible.

The 2 seios would be at either end of the tank facing each other.
    There are no controllers involved as i know that ideally controllers would be best. When finaces are great i would look into getting some controllers.

The tank is 1M*60*60 with the combination of pumps above i would be getting 61*turnover.

Would it be ok with the LPS having that amount of turnover?

Any other advice would be appreciated.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Yes Ziyaad - that would be fine for both SPS and LPS. For SOME LPS, you might want to place them JUST outside of the main direct current.... that want movement, but NOT to be blown completely to a side, ie. blasted.....I have LPS in my tank, and my tank has +-85-90 times water turnover....

4. moz

moz

The turnover should be fine, just remember that Euphyllia don't like to much flow so try set up your tank so that there are area's with less intense flow. I've got my Euphyllia at or near the bottom of my tank and my SPS higher up, with more flow higher up.

5. scubaninja

scubaninja

the froggies and hammers don't like much flow to be more accurate, but its up to the individual. if my green experiences any sort of medium flow he closes up, yet my brown loves high flow and opens up enormously. so just place them and see what happens
    Posted via Mobile Device

Recent Posts