some pics of the hectic waves East London has been having

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by leslie hempel, 30 Jun 2010.

1. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

greg emslie at queensbury point during an epic swell that recently hit east london.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

another friend of mine Devyn was dropped at the back to wait his turn and before he even got a wave a freak set broke on him pulling his leash plug out of his board and washing it away.

Dev nearly lost consiousness and drowned..

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Eish! Awesome waves. Lekker colour in the water to do some shark fishing.

4. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

WOW

5. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Thread Starter Moderator MASA Contributor

oh i forgot to say that in spite of having the jetski available Greg paddled into the pictures shown here..

6. leslie hempel

oh at the same spot about 3-4weeks ago

this is super hectic..

Surfer stares down shark – to escape unharmed[​IMG]Image of [​IMG][​IMG]LUCKY ESCAPE: Surfer Greg Emslie, pictured here at Haga Haga resort, survived a nerve-wracking encounter with a giant great white shark in Queensberry Bay at the weekend by maintaining eye contact with the beast from the deep and sitting with both feet on his board while waiting for a wave to catch to the shore. Picture: FILE

2010/05/27
    TWO of South Africa’s best professional surfers are lucky to be alive after a terrifying encounter with a giant great white shark while riding the waves near East London on Saturday afternoon.

Greg Emslie was circled several times – and even charged – by the four metre shark while world tour campaigner Rosy Hodge watched helplessly from the rocks at Queensberry Bay.

“I am glad I stayed calm and still … if I tried to paddle away I think it would have gone for me,” a relieved Emslie told the Dispatch yesterday.

During the nerve-wracking encounter, Emslie maintained “full eye contact” with the beast from the deep for most of the terrifying three minute-plus ordeal – sitting with both feet on his board waiting for a wave to catch to the shore.

“When he came up next to me like a submarine, I thought I was dead.

“It came straight at me three or four times … it was so close, I could have touched it with my hands,” he said.

Emslie, who recently decided to call it quits after 10 years on the world surfing tour so he could spend more time with his wife, Chante, and two toddlers, said all he could think about was not saying goodbye to his family before hitting the waves.

Chante, three-year-old Dave and one- year-old daughter Taylor were sleeping at the family’s Queensberry home after attending a kiddies’ birthday party earlier in the day. Emslie told the Dispatch he hoped the recent spate of shark attacks at nearby Yellowsands and Port Alfred was not the beginning of another bad year on the Cape coast.

Natal Sharks Board spokesperson Geremy Cliff said the fact that Emslie did not panic probably saved his life. “It is important that Greg did not panic and alter the shark’s behaviour from inquisitive to aggressive.”

Emslie said: “The only time I closed my eyes was to pray … when I opened them a wave came straight at me and I took one stroke and caught it.

“The next day I went to church.”

In an article on the Zig Zag surfing magazine website on Sunday, Hodge called Emslie a hero for warning her about the shark and shouting for her not to come back out after she had caught a wave to the rocks. - By DAVID MACGREGOR
    Port Alfred Bureau
    davidm@dispatch.co.za

7. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

hectic surf

8. FransSny

FransSny

Holy : shit :

9. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

crazy loonies. I love it:thumbup:

10. leslie hempel

more from zigzag

Two top professional SA surfers survive radical shark encounter in East London on Saturday

23/05/10 - 11:15:30AM ~ By Craig Jarvis ~

[​IMG]
    Greg Emslie: "This was the heaviest thing that has ever happened to me..."

[​IMG]
    Rosy Hodge / image: © SPEX

"This was the heaviest thing that has ever happened to me," said professional surfer Greg Emslie after an encounter with a massive white shark at Queensbury Bay yesterday - Sat 22 May.

An idyllic surf at the Eastern Cape point break, with fellow professional surfer Rosy Hodge, came very close to ending in tragedy, with Emslie being relentlessly circled and buzzed by a great white, and Rosy almost paddling straight into the danger zone.

"The whole thing must have taken about three to four minutes, but it felt like absolute ages,"said Greg. "I had plenty of time to size it up, and it was probably about four metres in length. It was like right out of the water. Both fins out, just staring at me. We had full eye contact for most of the time as well, just fully sussing each other out the whole time."

East London is well-known for shark encounters and attacks, and there was an attack a few weeks ago down the road at Port Alfred. While this didn’t lead into an attack, it was enough to rattle the two surfers properly. "I was just thinking, this is it," said Greg. "I’m going to get hit. It kept on coming at me, while I sat with my feet up on my board."

Rosy had just caught a wave and had ridden it in. When she started paddling back out, she had no idea what was going on. as Rosy recalls, "Then Greg started shouting and I thought, ‘Oh cool, he’s claiming my wave.’" Rosy continued to paddle. "Earlier in the day we had had some dolphins around and when I saw the two fins I thought there were two dolphins by Greg. As I got close I saw that it was a gaint shark, showing it’s dorsal and tail fin, and I realised that Greg was in serious trouble."

The shark continued to circle Greg, occasionally darting towards him and then veering off. "All I could think about was that I hadn’t said goodbye to my wife and kids," said Greg of those panicky moments. "We had been to a kids party in the morning so my wife and kids had fallen asleep, exhausted, and I slipped out for a surf. I always say goodbye to them, and this time I didn’t." Greg is married to Chantel and has a son Dave, aged three and a daughter Taylor, aged one.

Rosy takes up the story. "Greg shouted at me to go in, and I remember saying ‘What about you?’ but there wasn’t much I could do so I headed over the rocks."

"Rosy was so brave," said Greg. She was wanting to help me, but if the shark had checked her it might have gone into attack mode, so she did the right thing and headed in."

Then a wave appeared. "The shark was watching me so closely, we were just staring at each other. full on eyeball to eyeball. The shark definitely checked the wave as well, and was waiting to see what I was going to do. It was so close and the situation was so tense, and I thought that if I started paddling, it would simply attack. so I waited until the last split second. I did like one stroke, caught the wave and went left and straight over the bricks."

Rosy was desperately clambering over the rocks. "I was climbing over the rocks and I turned around and saw Greg on the rocks. I was so relieved, it was beyond belief. I started crying on the beach. It was all so scary," said Rosy. Even hours after the incident she was still emotional about it all. "Flip, I still felt completely vulnerable even on dry land. I ran home. My home overlooks the point, and I asked my mom, where’s dad? My dad had gone to the shop to by onions. The most radical thing happens to Greg and I, in full view of my house, and my dad had gone off to buy some onions."

What does this mean for these East London surfers and their water time?

"Well, first things first, I’m going to church," said Emslie. "I’m serious."

Last edited: 30 Jun 2010
  11. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Leslie - awesome pics - thanks for sharing.

A quick question w.r.t the shark stories - are both these about the same incident?

And I agree fully with what was said - great that Emslie did not panic. Because IF he would have panicked, the shark might just have behaved differently.....

12. clinton stanford

clinton stanford

there has been alot of sharkes around lately:whistling: im dying to surf, but im staying away from point breaks and reefs!
    looks like some decent swell is on its way for the weekend:thumbup:

nice article Les;) greg shit himself, i saw him a couple days after the incedent and he said it was the most scary day of his life!!

13. clinton stanford

clinton stanford

yes both of articles are from the same incedent.
    greg did really well to keep his calm and catch the wave out as it was just about to break.that spot has always been scary and sharky, but there are some awesome waves there on the right tides and winds.

14. jacquesb

Clinton - I cannot surf to save my life. BUT that said. I would 1000 times rather SCUBA dive with a great white shark, or a tiger shark (I already dived with bull/zambezi sharks)....

15. clinton stanford

clinton stanford

I would love to dive with sharks! thats something i have always wanted to do.
    i love sharks! believe it or not, they have always facinated me.
    but its a different story sitting on a board like a little shark biscuit and seeing them in the water. i have had one or two scares and its the most helpless feeling ever.
    its proberbly a surfers worst nightmare!!

16. jacquesb

Yeah - I can imagine. I must say - being level with them sharks really makes the adrenalin pumping! It's a SUPER AWESOME experience! I have vids, but they far to big to upload (20 to 30MB each).....

17. clinton stanford

clinton stanford

it must be an awesome experience! pitty the vids are so big , i would love to see them!
    where did you dive?

18. jacquesb

Clinton - just past Protea Reef..... Protea Reef (at Shelley Beach) - is +-11k's out. We dove at +- 13k's out - just past the reef. Water depth is +-44 to 50 meters deep. BUT, doing this dive, was an "open water" dive, and my depth ranged between 13 and 16 meters deep.... The zambesi's (bull sharks) constantly kept their distance below us - with the closest one being +-7 or 8 meters below me....

The other sharks that swam inbetween the dive group, was the black tip reef sharks....

There were 5 blacktip reef sharks, and 4 bull/zambesi sharks! ;)

19. jacquesb

BTW: I am trying to find some freeware video conversion software that I can resize the vids....

20. jacquesb

AWESOME! I have been able to convert the one video with a raggedtooth (grey nurse) shark down to 5.59MB. Should I upload this one so long?

21. seank

seank

SUPER(C)v2009.build.36(june 10,2009) eRightSoft.com

Recent Posts