Some kind of brain coral??

Reaction score
Just purchased this coral today. I was told it might be a brain coral of some sort. Does anyone know what it is exactly?
I'd like to read up on it.

14862391960202008218478.jpg

I do yes. If you check late night or early morning you will see it's feeder tentacles extending. But you can also stimulate a feeding response by just dropping a little food on it at first. I feed mysis and hikari coralific delite once or twice a week.

I saw my candy cane do that. It's a little difficult to get the food to stay on the polyps but I will try with some pellets. Gonna soak them first. Hopefully it helps. @jacohall

Switch off your flow for a few moments

Yeah I cut all my wavemakers and return pump is other end so got very very little flow while I'm feeding. I stand corrected, but it's not advisable to feed pellets unless you have the specific LPS coral pellets.

No problem in feesing pellets, obviously depending on their composition.
Its mostly protein and lipids, HOOEFULLY of oceanic origin.
Yes, soak them beforehand as i very much doubt corals have ever been exposed to dry food. More palatable

I think cutting off flow will help a lot. Yes the pellets are the oceanic brand.
I think I'm gonna buy some hake and chop it up. Gonna freeze it into little cubes and use it for majority of my feeds. I think I'm overfeeding my tank cos I'm having a slight algae problem. The hake won't be as nutrient dense, so my fish will get full without overloading nutrients into my system. @jacohall @irie ivan

What kind of fish do you have? Fish need a balanced diet. So don't think feeding mostly hake is a great idea. Hake will cause just as much "nutrients" in the water as other frozen food, but doesn't necessarily have all the necessary nutrients the fish need. The less useful nutrients the fish use, the more waste "nutrients" is created. That's how I understand it working, so I stand corrected once again. I say "nutrients" coz you shouldn't confuse valuable nutrients and fish waste.

Oceanic brand.... Does it mean the ingredients are oceanic of origin?????

Instead of going through the trouble with hake, and its potential to get messy (as you will have to finely chop it) rather look at your feeding procedure. Feed a little, ensure fish eat it all, then feed a little more at a later stage. If your flow dynamics causes food to be pushed between the rocks, turn off your flow whilst feeding, or increase your clean up crew.

I didn't look at it from that perspective. To come to think of it...a lot of my food gets pushed around with the flow. I assumed the corals will eat it and the crab. Maybe I should just increase the feeding intervals and decrease the amount during each interval. @jacohall @irie ivan

increase the feeding intervals and decrease the amount during each interval

Almost always a better idea yes! In the wild, fish are constantly eating. In our closed systems you want to reach that balance between building up the immune system of your fish and allowing them to eat often while at the same time not flooding the tank with waste and unnecessary nutrients.

Back
Top Bottom