Some Help - Problem?

Reaction score
Hi there
Could somebody can help, I have a new tank that has been running for just over two weeks. I have a sudden outbreak of a brown algea on the rocks and the substrate.

IMG_1805.jpg

IMG_1810.jpg

And the next problem is on the photo below, is this the start of long hair green algae?

IMG_1808.jpg

What is the solution to these problem, and what is the cause?

Thanks
Steven
:60:

Yip part of the cycle, fear not it should pass

Im also fairly new and also asked the same question during April. What the old hands say is true. Dont worry.

What can i say that hasn't been said, you bound to pick up algae during the cycling period and for a while after until the algae consumes all the nutrient released during the die off and cycling period. Totally normal.

just to add its called diatoms, single celled organism, loves silicate's , i am going through the same with my new setup

If it's diatoms, there are plenty of snails that eat that stuff.

Marvin any updates ?

It's important to check and maintain your CA and ALK levels during cycling. A slightly elevated alk level - 9 - 10 DKH will help to fight off nuisance alage by giving the coraline a decent platform to out compete the nuisance alage ;)

If it's diatoms, there are plenty of snails that eat that stuff.

Thanks, I've currently only got a 1 red legged hermit, had 2 one got chowed by the roug crab that came with one of the live rock...1 boxing shrimp, 1 cleaning shrimp, and 3 damsels, and 1 shrimp. Then there is a sea slug that was also on one of the rocks.

Will hopeful get some more cleaning crew this weekend...

Steven

Marvin any updates ?

It's important to check and maintain your CA and ALK levels during cycling. A slightly elevated alk level - 9 - 10 DKH will help to fight off nuisance alage by giving the coraline a decent platform to out compete the nuisance alage ;)

Thanks, I had a bit of a phosphate problem, which I seem to have under control, would you suggest taking the DKH up currenlty about 8.3.

Steven

Back
Top Bottom