Some Help for a very dum question

Discussion in 'Medium Tanks' started by gail_ricky, 24 Sep 2009.

1. gail_ricky

gail_ricky

Hi Guys

Well here I come wiht the dumb questions....

The husband and I are having a disagreement about which side the protein skimmer goes of the system so some help woudl be greatly apprecaited...

When the flow of water leaves the tank shoudl it go directly into the skimmer or not? shoudl the skimmer be at the end of the filtration cycle.

Please could someone let me have a standard simple picture of the setup as I am really struggling to get my head around it.. call me blonde for now?

Thanks so much.
    :(

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Ideally a 3 chamber sump is good enough. From tank overflow side, 1st - skimmer , 2nd - DSB , 3rd - return chamber.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Junz

Junz

HI GR

what skimmer do you have ?

guys please correct me if im wrong here, but i would suggest that the skimmer be in the first chamber ( where the water from the tank enters into the sump ), my reasoning for it is that the skimmer would "clean" the water before it enters the rest of the sump, this is benificial if you have a dsb because there will be very little detirus buildup in the sand.

i have seen people put skimmers in the last section and it works for them.... its really a matter of prefference...either way the water will be skimmed before it enters the tank

this is a pic of my sump,

[​IMG]
    hope this helps

[​IMG]

5. gail_ricky

gail_ricky Thread Starter

thanks guys, so I win!!! just joking. thank you so much for clearing that up for me and ofr the great pics of the set up. another one for you what os the ideal amount of sand ofr hte dsb? we also have white spongey stuff ontop of coral chips int eh first chamber of the sump and then again in the secound? then it flows into the dsb and then after that into a clean chamber befoer return to the tank? .int he final chamber there is a heater and the pump. is this all correct?
    I have pics and will upload them asap. oh we have a reef octopus skimmer btw.

6. chikaboo

chikaboo

Hi gail your dsb should be 12 to 15cm deep and all your "spongy" and coral pieces should be removed and replaced with liverock - btw awesome skimmer you got there - model of the reef octo

7. lIghty

lIghty

A DSB should be at least 12 - 15 cm deep, depending on sand size, you can have a 1 square meter DSB, but it isn't deep enough it won't work.

Not sure what you talking about the "chips", perhaps a picture would clear this up?

8. Tony

Tony

You can plumb your overflow directly into your skimmer but its not necessary

9. gail_ricky

gail_ricky Thread Starter

okay I will uplod pics soon as I can today. as for the overflow directly into th e skimmer, thanks for the help guys. I think we will run it like that for now and see what happens. It seems the norm. as for the dsb thanks again. you say that I need to change the coral ships for live rock, can this been done at a later stage in the tanks development?

10. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

It is best to make changes while a tank is cycling and let it mature. To remove it later it needs to be done slowly and a little bit at a time to not disrupt the bacteria.
    Posted via Mobile Device

11. Hermanus

Hermanus

If the heater is in the last chamber make sure that if the water level drops, as it normally drops in the last chamber ,the heater must not be left out of the water it Will overheat if it is on and not under the water. It will be better in the DSB or with the skimmer.

12. magman

magman

heres my sump, the blue pipe on the left is the return from the over flow, directly under it is the skimmer's pump. I only have 2 sections, the last being the return and chiller.

[​IMG]

13. crispin

crispin

hi gail, seems like the question is well answered that the over flow should feed the skimmer directly.

let me just expand a little on that so it makes a little more sence:)

Skimmers primarily remove Disolved organic componds (DOC for short) and skimmers are our primary machine for the help with filtration. Skimmers are easy to adjust and swap out, thats to say a system with a heavey biological load (fish that are fed alot and produce alot of waste) need a 'heavily' skimmed system. For example I like fish and thus have a skimmer that is rated to handle a system double the vollume of the tank that I have. Simply means that i can have a high (ish) number of fish and rely on a skimmer to be in the front line to take out as much DOC as possible.

after skimming we use a number of biological filtration methods, here we have LR, DSB's algae scrubbers, macro algae etc and these are there to help deal with anything the skimmer is missing. the lighter the load that the Biological aspect has to carry, the easier it is for the bacertia (primarily and algaes secondry) to carry. Leading to a quicker equilibrium between the amount of waste produced and the rate at which the waste is converted through the nitrogen cycle. Remember its a closed system in an artificial set up and the easier you make it on your system to deal with the constant swings in this ballance the better for the system. Make sure you understand the nitrogen cycle in a tank its unbelievably important!

Ive highlighted why i think a heavily skimmed system is a good safe bet. BUT there are times once your tank has been running a while when you want the skimmer off to make those organic compounds available in the water collum for a little longer. Feeding fine foods for example, will mean that some are eaten and some go over the overflow. If your skimmer is on, it will take these out the equation straight away, if its off the food will pass through the sump via the return pump and be available to the tank mates for a little longer. Thus some people turn skimmers off for 20 mins or so while feeding, or at night when most corals extend their tentacles to feed more.

BUT note, these are in systems that are in equilibrium, thats to say well run in and matured, around 9-12months and when the reefer understands what they want to achieve. then its fine to tweak and play with the skimmer. For all other times i recomend firing it up and skimming heavily to start.

i hope that helps :)

Recent Posts