Some Collective Advise

Discussion in 'Anemone's' started by DeanT, 20 Jun 2012.

1. DeanT

DeanT Dean

Hi All
    a friend of mine , has had a little problem over a week ago , and tank needed to be emptied , and fixed.

i ended up with the problem of housing his anenome that got injured earlier , by getting a section stuck in a power head.

i know my tank is very young to house an anenome , and this is the reason for me having no experience in keeping them, so please excuse anyhting i say that is wrong , or sounds plain stupid.

the damaged seemed to be on the tenticles only , but i cannot see , as it has managed to stick itself , to the front of my glass , and facing the back of the tank

since being in my tank , it has settled to the place mentioned above , i have tried to feed it with a little piece of hake , which seemed to stick to tenticles and 5 minutes later , the piece was gone. this was a few days ago ,

since then it seems to have closed up and nothing has changed and is not so open as i have seen it previously.

i have 4 clowns , that have been obsessed with the anenome since it arrived, so dont know if this is good or bad.

i do not know what type of anenome it is , i know it has a purple side stuck to my glass, and the underside of the tenticle is brown.
    the tips at the moment are white ( bleached i am not sure)

my water parameters are stable , and i am dosing my system , with aquavitro - fuel, ions and balance .

yesterday i was at the LFS , and they recommended i dose the tank with iodide/ iodine to help the anenome, which was done last night

can anyone suggest anything that i can do , to ensure it doesnt give my system a problem, and what i can do to get him healthly and open again ?

i will organise pictures , to give a better understanding of what it looks like

i have read the article in the thread , but wanted some feedback/advise , and guidance if possible.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. DeanT

DeanT Thread Starter Dean

here are 2 pics taken using a phone camera.
    i will post better pics , when i have a chance later

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Nur

Nur Starz

hmm, i'd suggest you separate the clowns from the nenie if possible.
    they might make his condition worse/slow down the recover by constant irritation.
    it seems he is quite close to that pump as well, he might have a taste for it.
    so try and nennie proof the pump, easy quick way is to wrap a peice of filtermat around the pump.

iodine solution will help, but dont over do it as this is danderoud to starfish.
    dont feed too much, try a peice of hake the size of your pinkie nail at first, make sure your fish/clown dont steal it away.
    most importantly try and mimic the lighting conditions from the tank the nennie came from, this will help in lowering the amount of stress.

good luck..

5. DeanT

@Nur
    thanks for the input , flow pump ,is off , so no worries there
    iodine , i have dosed according to the bottle , but will test iodine level later to check how they are

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  6. B00tCamp

B00tCamp

Hi @DeanT ,

No expert here as I dont have a nennie myself...yet ;)

That nennie seems to be very high on the glass...might be an indication that it is looking for more light...thus not opening so much...

Best thing would probably be increasing the light or trying to feed the nennie more regularly as it would not photosynthisize properly under poor lighting....

I might be wrong though...like I said, no expert, but the logic makes sense though...lol :p

Last edited: 20 Jun 2012
  7. DeanT

@bootcamp
    i dont think lighting is an issue , i have 8 x 39 w T5 lights that run from 10 am till 8 pm , and i have 3 x 400 w metal Halides , that run from 4pm till 8 pm .

if i had to run more lighting , i think i might need to put koeberg in my back yard.;)
    thanks

8. B00tCamp

B00tCamp

Yoh yoh yoh! lol

Definately not too little light then...hehe :lol:

9. DeanT

here are some newer pics , but dont think they make any difference , as they look similar to the others

any advice is appreciated

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. scubaninja

scubaninja

Nennies go on walks for many reasons, lighting, flow, general water parameters, irritation from inhabitants. I suggest separating the clowns from the nennie, maybe by hanging an eggcrate cage over the glass where the nennie is. The nennie looks a like a bleached purple foot magnifica. Can be quite hard to keep. If its bleached it means your lighting may be no good for it(it can worsen the nennie's condition-but the nennie will walk away from too much light) and it needs to eat to regain health. What flow have you got in your tank? If the food falls off the tenticles the nennie might be on its way out as it cant hold its food. Put a tiny piece of hake, i'm talking 5mm radius on the tentacles close to the mouth and make sure there is NO pumps on(the cage must be here to stop the clowns interfering with the food). Then watch it to make sure the food gets eaten, i dont mean force feeding it, but checking to see what can be done to stop anything else from irritating the nennie while its trying to eat. Let us know from there

Last edited: 20 Jun 2012
  11. DeanT

@scubaninja
    thanks for the feedback.
    i managed to get hold , of a a small piece of salmon , from the pick and pay sushi counter.
    i cut a small piece , like the size on my pinkie finger.
    i put it near the center , and it stuck to the tenticles.
    the nennie seemed to have folded in after a minute or 2, which i assume it will do to eat the food.
    i ensured the clows where pre occupied , with flakes in the tank , so they didnt disturb the nennie at all
    i will take a picture of it now , and post it , but from what i can see , it has eaten the salmon piece.
    how long will it take to digest and open again ??
    when do i attempt to feed it again ?
    thanks

12. scubaninja

scubaninja

Watch the nennie to see if the piece comes back out or if the nennie emits a 'smoke' like substance(this is just leftovers being ejected). It takes energy for the nennie to eat food and if it just ends up spitting it out then its wasted energy which can be bad. Leave the feeding until tomorrow. Its better to feed the nennie more pieces of smaller sizes than one big piece. So watch the nennie for signs of increased stress and if it seems happier(or has not worsened) tomorrow(same time as you just fed now) then you can feed again. Eating is the only way the nennie will get healthier if its bleached so its important that it eats properly now.

I'm not sure how long it will take for the nennie to eat the food you've given it as size of the food+nennie is a factor and the general health of the nennie as well. But daily feedings of tiny pieces will help it get healthier.

13. crispin

crispin

id suggest feeding hake or a white fleshhed fish, or prawns over salmon which tends to have a very high fat content

14. DeanT

here are pictures , after it had eaten , the colours look different , as my metal halides had turned off

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. DeanT

@crispin
    thanks for the messsage , will feed it one of those fish , next time
    how long till he is finished off the small piece of salmon ??
    when will i know ?

16. scubaninja

scubaninja

The anemone will go back to its normal shape, but that could be late at night(as you fed it recently) so just watch the shape and chill out, knowing when its done with its current meal is not as important as it having fed in the first place :) The first hurdle of getting it to eat has been crossed;)

17. DeanT

@scubaninja
    Much appreciated for all the info and assistance.
    Will update tomorrow when I am home from work

18. scubaninja

scubaninja

Cool bananas :thumbup:

19. scubaninja

scubaninja

Updates?

20. JDV

JDV

tagging

21. JsPLAYn