some advise plz P.E

Discussion in 'New Members' started by johannes rall, 26 Feb 2011.

1. johannes rall

johannes rall

Hi people i have a question.I was at the LPS today to find out about the baserock that they have.They showed me some pieces outside that looked like dried liverock.ok that i knew .The question i have is that the pieces i saw at the petshop looked like some rock ive seen along the beach.Can i use the ones i saw along the beach or not.It also look very porous(excuse spelling ha ha)

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tremayn

Tremayn

take a pic.. If its on the beach.. then it should be ok for your tank. You will have to cook it in fresh water for 4-6weeks just to be safe. Whatever the rock has in it should leach out. You will have to do regular water changes. Then on the 4th week test the water to test for phosphates and the PH. The ph should be stable. You will need to test the water once a week. if after 2 weeks nothing shows up on the tests, then it should be fine

4. Tremayn

Tremayn

but upload a pic before you do anything. Sure the guys from PE will know about the rock and can advise you better :)

5. johannes rall

johannes rall Thread Starter

cook for 4-6 weeks how do you mean

6. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

The rock you find on the beach is not the same as proper liverock. Do not at any point think that taking rock from the beach can replace good liverock. Besides not knowing what impurities the rock contains, there are legal issuse when it comes to removing rock from the beach. Taking shortcuts with rock will cost you more in the long run. Please post pics of the rocks in question.

Recent Posts