Some advice on sump and overflow

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by cswhitehead, 16 Aug 2010.

1. cswhitehead

cswhitehead

So now i have my 4ft dt and a 3ft that i and converting into a sump Currently building the sump i have the first compartment for my overflow inlet and protein skimmer so far. Next compartment is going to be for my dsb last compartment for my return pump. So are baffles to get rid of micro bubbles necessary do they really work? As far as i can understand you dont want the bubbles to flow over your dsb is this correct? If so it will be fine if i only have one baffle before the dsb or should i have between each compartment? If i am incorrect can someone explain to my why you dont want bubbles. While i wait for the silicon to dry on my sump i want to get my overflow box done. The over flow box is going to be in the back corner and i have to drill a hole in the base of the tank but what size hole? Im not sure if i must go for one 50mm hole or two 25mm holes. If i go with the 50mm hole my over flow box will have to be bigger and take up more space and i dont think a 50mm pipe will get a blockage so my dt shouldnt overflow. But with two 25mm holes i can make the box slightly smaller but 25mm holes might get a blockage and its more holes to drill which is increases the chances of something going wrong that being said will they even allow enough flow? Come guys i need the tank ready buy pay day so i can get the equipment in and start cycling the tank.

Last edited: 16 Aug 2010
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

Bubbles over the DSB is no issue. What you dont want is bubbles in the return chamber of the sump. This will cause the return pump to suck these bubbles in and blow micro bubbles into the display which is not nice. You can get a away without a bubbletrap. If you can keep the waterlevel in the last chamber high enough to stop water from falling then you dont even need a bubble trap.

A single 50mm return will handle more water than 2 25mm. What flowrate are you going to use as a return? You might be able to get away with 2 25mm. But I would say go with 2 32mm or 40mm. But then 40 - 50 is only 10mm. Depending on the type of overflow you might have to use a ballvalve to control the noise level which will retrict a 50mm pipe in anycase. There are many ways and everyone will have different opinions.

4. cswhitehead

cswhitehead Thread Starter

Oh thanks for clearing that up for me. So a baffle before the return compartment will be best. Think il go with the 50mm hole can only find 25mm and 50mm drills here so limited to those to sizes unless i can find something else. Return pump i was thinking 1000l/h seeing that my tanke is about 250l. Is that right?

Last edited: 16 Aug 2010
  5. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

Is that 1000LPH after taking head height into consideration?

6. cswhitehead

Sorry what i meant was that im looking for a pump thats going to pump 1000l/h after iv taken head height into the equation.

7. SaltyReef

SaltyReef

I've got the same set up.

4 foot tank 3 foot sump
    1000lt return taking into account the head height.
    50mm Overflow directly into the skimmer section then a DSB then a Baffle for Micro Bubbles then the return section.

Just remember that your return section is where you are going to see your water level dropping due to evaporation and should be big enough to sustain your tanks evaporation for several days if you are not going to add an RO water section and auto top up.

8. cswhitehead

Hopefully my return section is big enough. Will be glueing the last panel in tonight. Then all thats to do is check for leaks. Im going to start with my overflow box soon i dont want to be able to see into it. So im going to paint one piece of glass then silicon another piece of glass to it so that the paint is in between the to sheets. Is this the way you supposed to do it or is there another way?

9. Manic

Manic Moderator

That might not work as the paint will come off easily and then the two pieces of glass will come apart. What I did for my overflow is silicon two pieces of glass together with black marine silicon, it looks like it was painted black but was a mission to do.

10. cswhitehead

Thanks will try get some black marine silicon if i cant do anything else. And the back of the tank? Just paint the outside?

11. Manic

Manic Moderator

I just used ABS plastic for the back, it is a lot easier than painting.

12. durleo

durleo

Jus get black perspex and silicon it on. The overflow will be overgrow with corraline pretty soon so you probably not gonna see through it.

13. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Drop the baffles, just wasting space. Bubbles go over first glass already in top 1cm of water. If it can travel all the way across the DSB without popping to the surface then you have a problem. Last glass should be max 1cm lower than first. To have water volume above DSB at max size.

One 50mm hole can handle more flow than 2*25mm holes.

And first get your bulkhead fitting before you drill. Might end up having to drill 65mm to fit a 50mm bulkhead. So to safe yourself from drilling again.

14. MarkH

MarkH

Just to add, any bubbles=salt creep.... Which is a serious PITA. To limit bubbles, just make sure there isn't a big height difference in water levels between sections of your sump, that stops waterfalls - Tobes made a great thingie out of pvc pipe to smooth his flow, check on his tank page for ideas. As far as overflow pipe size, welcome to the debate - one big pipe or two small ones. Big pipe means more chance of noise, small pipe means more chance of blockages.

15. cswhitehead

Will check how many bubbles i get tomorrow. Already added a baffle to the last section. How does one go about reducing noise if you use a big hole?

Recent Posts