Solution for air during power cuts

Muz

Reaction score
I was stressing about the oxygen levels in my tank during load shedding.. picked up one if these for R60.. I am suitably impressed, I place it on my overflow box and hang it a few inches in.. works like a bomb.

Muz2008003.gif

Hi friend i was with out elect for 5 hours and have got two boyu pump and it worked no problem one in the sump and one on top also cost around R60.00each

Hi friend i was with out elect for 5 hours and have got two boyu pump and it worked no problem one in the sump and one on top also cost around R60.00each

Hi IMarine - what "Boyu pumps" are you referring to? and are they battery operated?

I got myself a power-head at a boat-shop in CT CBD. I am now running the power-head as my 2nd return pump from the sump (it is only a 1375 litre / hour pump though), BUT it seems to be working flawlessly. I now have it on a 12V car battery (Silver Calcium battery), which is being constantly charged (when necessary) by an intelligent electronic charger.... This cost me an arm and a leg though.... Not cheap solution.... BUT it really works absolutely perfectly well in keeping the water flow perfectly well through the sump and back into the tank.

AND it can keep it up for at least 9-10 hours on the car battery...

I have a 600va Ups that I plug a normal air pump into works for about 5 hours and costs next to nothing. Not a great solution but least it is cheaper than a generator.

I have a 600va Ups that I plug a normal air pump into works for about 5 hours and costs next to nothing. Not a great solution but least it is cheaper than a generator.

Hi Smithers - do you keep this running 24x7? Or do you manually connect this/switch this on?

What happens if you or anyone else is not at home at the time of the power-failure?

Sorry for the late reply. What I have done is stuck and airstone at the back of the tank. I leave this running 24/7. Couple of micro bubbles but I would rather have that than dead fish. The pump lasts for ages on the UPS as well. I also have a battery powered pump that I modified to fit onto a variable transformer. It uses 3 volts and works OK.

Back
Top Bottom