Solar heating our water

Reaction score
Anyone thought or has attempted using a solar heater panel to run on there tank in winter to help with heating. Any thoughts or advice.
images (19).jpg

not a great idea, too risky as there are too many critters that can block the little pipes.

Problem would be at night, especially winter time. Have to switch that unit off to prevent it from cooling our tanks to much. How to prevent the bacteria inside those tubes from using up all the oxygen, changing the water chemistry. When the unit kick back in again, then all that water with no oxygen would be pumped directly back into the tank. What will that do?

If you do connect this up to an titanium heat exchanger coil, that is inside the sump, that would work. As then the fluid inside the coil and sun panel would never be in actual contact with the tank water. No critters can enter and no bacteria plus oxygen issues. Can then use proper cooling fluid that would be better than water for heat exchange. Just need to ensure that the coil would never leak into the sump any cooling fluid.

Thanx guys.
This is just me thinking out aloud, grateful for the feedback.
And the idea geothermal heating.

if you can get one of these
Titanium-Coil-immersion-type-heat-exchanger.jpg

and add that to the solar panel or geo thermal cooling system, that will be great.

or this one
titanium-coil-250x250.jpg

Imagine the heat transfer you can achieve with this big boy!

I have 2 titanium coils that i wanted to use for this connected to a solar geyser but have not gotten that far yet. I had the coils specially made and shipped from china.

I have 2 titanium coils that i wanted to use for this connected to a solar geyser but have not gotten that far yet. I had the coils specially made and shipped from china.
Stop Procrastinating :y13:

Please do it, and let us know if it works or not.

what did the coils cost you?

Last edited:
Coils was R1300 but the shipping was R1100. Main thing holding me back is that the heat collectors of the geyser needs replacing and we have not done that yet.

Actually used the coils a few times before during power outages in winter to heat the tank. Popped them in a big pot on the gas stove and pumped the tank water through the coils.

Back
Top Bottom