Sohal Tang

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by deadmeat2016, 5 Feb 2012.

1. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

Want to get a Sohal tang from LFS, he's still small, bout the size of a cigarette box, is this wise as i added a powderblue which is a bit bigger 2 weeks ago. I hear sohals are very aggressive. The tank is 180gal, 2m.

Loads of liverock
    snowflake moray
    lionfish
    soft corals
    yellow tail blue damsel

the sump
    ATI powercone 200i
    chaeto

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Thread Starter Wouter

no one?

4. LuckyFish

LuckyFish MASA Contributor

Be aware that the Sohal will grow quite big and will be THE boss in your tank. I don't see any problems with the powder blue. Might be that the powder blue will develop some white spots, if the Sohal is chasing him. I added the following into my tank: 1 Sohal, 1 Purple, 5 Yellows, 3 Regals, 1 Naso.
    I added them all at once. After a few hours was peace between all tangs, but my tank was 5500 litre.
    I can't say that Sohals are aggressive by nature, but to keep a Sohal with clown surgeon is a no go!
    So having the powder blue swimming already is probably way better, than having the Sohal as first tang. Also you might run into problems with the Sohal, when adding another tang in the future. I'm almost certain, that the Sohal will make some sushi out of the new arrived tang.

5. crispin

crispin

well whats the question?

are sohals aggresive? Yes. will they fit in 180gal yes, but they will boss the hell out of other fish and id think twice about that LS list unless you up your filtration in the long term, especially the snow flake.

but what is it that you were realy wondering about?

oh and havinga sohal and a powder blue may cause issues, especially if the powder blue stresses and gets white spot, which is a distinct possibility.

6. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

I've read that a powder blue must be the last tang/fish you add to the tank as they are also very aggressive. He might just hold his ground....but then gets white spot due to the fighting, which might affect all the other fish in the tank :(
    Fin rot is also a possibility between tangs due to fighting, ask @Jeann1 :whistling:

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  7. deadmeat2016

thanks tobes, im not gonna spend 850R for a white spot risk,the sohals could hav a better home

8. LuckyFish

How interesting would it be to create a agro chart for tangs?
    Believe me, the last tang I would add is a Sohal. Despite size, the Sohal will be the boss!

But seriously, I should start a poll. How agro would you rate this one. No clue how to start a poll?

AndrévN likes this.
  9. crispin

crispin

id say the clown is the most agro, achilies second and the sohal third, give or take.

10. LuckyFish

I would bet my right testicle that the Sohal will finish a Clown, despite of size.

11. AfricaOffroad

AfricaOffroad

Friend of mine has a sohal and clown.
    The latter is slightly bigger and the boss of the tank, sohal is scared of it.

My sohal is the biggest of all my tangs in my main tank. While definitely the alpha fish, it does not harras a new fish, even be it another tang. I have a smallish powder blue in my FO tank. Its a stroppy bugger that absolutely harrasses any new addition of an angel or tang. As its grown, its now started heckling the bigger powder brown that was there before it. I think I'm going to have to move him, maybe to my bigger tank???

12. LuckyFish

As always, everybody has got a different story. To me, fish do have a personality and can not be judged by species.

13. AfricaOffroad

AfricaOffroad

There goes that testicle, but give it to crispin, I dont want it !:whistling:

14. Jeann1

Jeann1

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

15. AndrévN

AndrévN

I agree

16. crispin

crispin

bugger that, save it for a lawyer to pay legal bills! :) i dont want that thing either.

To be truthful ive always seen clown tangs rise to the top i hadnt realy thought about them in that list.

but often the most aggresive fish doent have to show his aggression, its often two or three down the pecking order that has its position challenged and thus comes out figting while the big mafia boss just watches smoking his nori.

17. maj

maj

Also when doing your Water changes,please check the PH levels of the new water u adding,that can cause serious harm if its too high.

I too wudnt blame the a product for the demise of the LS,the first 24-48 hours is the most critical when adding LS to a tank,thus QT is a must!!!!

18. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

19. deadmeat2016

thanks for the reply guys, i realy want the sohal but dont want a tang fight :lol:

Recent Posts