Softies touching SPS ?

Discussion in 'General Coral Care' started by Apollo, 14 Aug 2009.

1. Apollo

Apollo

Hi to all,

I have a small pink Pocillopora frag which I acquired about 2 weeks ago. From what I can see the frag is doing well and the coral exhibits full polyp extension at night.

Close to the Pocillopora I have a pulsing Xenia. I noticed about 2 days ago that the Xenia is expanding in such a way that certain "branches" are touching the Pocillopora.

Will this cause a problem for the Pocillopora and should I perhaps move the Xenia ?

Last edited: 14 Aug 2009
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tony

Tony

My xenia was touching my SPS's with no problems except that they can shade them and cause some recession. Otherwise the coral isn't bothered

4. Broder

Broder Mudshark

The pulsing xenia and blue african xenia that I have are both non-aggressive. The only thing that you'll have to watch is that the xenia does not steal light from the poccillopora. Why not have the sps at the top of your rocks where there is more light as it requires and the xenia at the bottom as it requires less light?

5. Apollo

Apollo Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback guys.

The placement of the Pocillopora for now is more or less in the middle of the tank.
    I did this specifically to ensure that I slowly acclimatise the coral to the light.

I'm running a 70W 14K MH on my Nano. Due to the small surface area of the Nano ( less than 0.2 sqm), the luminous intensity of the MH is IMO higher per square meter than what it had been in say a holding tank of 2 sqm surface area

For this reason , I have been very cautious about placing the Pocillopora high up in the tank, until it has aclimatised to its new environment.

Perhaps my thinking is incorrect in this regard, but I have lost a few small SPS frags in the past due to placing them high up in the tank immediately. In all previous cases , the frags bleached significantly within 2 days , and then RTN finished them off a few days later.

Just a thought.

6. sihaya

sihaya

Just my opinion, but I wouldn't be happy about this. I wouldn't want my xenia touching my sps. They might not "burn" the sps, but it's still not favorable (especially for a small frag). If nothing else, the xenia could grow over it soon if it's that close already. And as others have mentioned... the shading potential is an issue too. It might be ok, but if it's easy to move, I'd move it after you've acclimated it. Or, better yet, maybe move the xenia.

7. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Agreed. (Hi Sara :wave2:)

Hennie

8. Apollo

Apollo Thread Starter

Thanks Sara,

I'll be moving the Pocillopora to a more suitable location higher in the tank.

Recent Posts