Softies + Algae Scrubber

Reaction score
All

I may be barking up the wrong tree, but here goes. I added an algae scrubber to my system about two months ago. Rest of the system - 500l display, 240l sump, skimmer, DSB, lots of chaeto.

The algae scrubber working very, very well, and main display clean as can be - no algae, etc.

My problem is that is seems as if my softies, especially my 4 types of mushroom seems to be less healthy than before the scrubber. Much smaller, less extended. Can this be because of operation of the algae scrubber, maybe starving the mushrooms of certain food elements?

I am no expert, only being in this hobby for about 18 months, and would appreciate any comments or assistance.

Kind Regards
Chris

dallasg

Controversial Reefer, but knowledgeable!
Reaction score
Hi,

mudshark had a similar issue, Algae and its familes are consumers of iodine, so you would need to dose iodine with a iodine suppliment. once that has stabilised all will go back to normal. you should also test magnesium as some types of marine plants use this as a nutrient transport like we do in electrolytes.

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses.

I do dose some Iodine and Magnesium according the dosing instructions. No changes regarding lighting. I also do around 10% water changes per month.

Maybe I should stop the scrubber for a month or so, and see if the mushrooms do better?

Reaction score
Having same issue with my Nano, tested iodine before scrubber was set up and reading level was zero. But I have noticed a change in the look of my shrooms. Difficult to pin point as the shrooms in Mudsharks tank are fantastic. I am attributing there change to increased evaporation which is directly affecting salinity. My 2cents

Reaction score
My skimmer is in the first compartment, then heater, then DSB, then return chamber. (skimming very wet)

A small pump in the return chamber pumps back to the scrubber, which hangs over the last portion of the DSB, just before the water flows into the return chamber.

My salinity seems fine. There should also not be much variation, as I am using an auto-topup system.

RiaanP

Reaction score
Just a question, is your cheato still growing? or standing still or dying back?

Cheato and scrubber compete for same food. And if cheato is still growing, that means that there are still enough food available after scrubber consumed what it could. Then I strongly doubt if the scrubber got anything to do with it.

Cheato dying back, then the scrubber is too good (yeah). And then it might be that some minerals needed by other stuff are depleted by the scrubber.

But in Mudshark case, he first suspected the scrubber to use up all the iodine, but eventually found out that his source for NSW got no iodine in it.

Reaction score
I would investigate your iodine levels first.

Reaction score
Thanks guys for all the replies.

One thing I can add is that I started dosing vodka as well, strictly according to a thread I came across at MASA, about 6 weeks ago.

Can this have an influence as well?

Reaction score
Thanks guys for all the replies.

One thing I can add is that I started dosing vodka as well, strictly according to a thread I came across at MASA, about 6 weeks ago.

Can this have an influence as well?

Keep the vodka for yourself and add iodine and magnesium for your corals :)

Reaction score
Yes it's the vodka. It can reduce N and P to true zero, thus hurting mushrooms. Stop the vodka, and let the scrubber do the work. If the scrubber is operated properly, the chaeto will starting fading away. If you still want big pods, use rock rubble instead of chaeto. I don't think it's the iodine, since iodine is in all the food that you feed.

Reaction score
Vodka is a mushroom killer if you dose it and already have low nutrients in your tank. maybe stop the vodka dosing..especially if you have no nuisance algae in the display, and maybe cut the photoperiod of your scrubber to 12 hours instead of 18? also if you have a skimmer in addition to the scrubber, try only running the skimmer during the day.. thus giving the tank the chance to feed at night...and leaving a little more nutrients for the mushrooms to eat..if you start to notice more nutrients/ nuisance algae...run scrubber lights longer (18 hours) or increase skimming back to 24 hours. only dose vodka if you have softies and still have very high nutrients... as soon as the nutrients start getting lower, stop the vodka dosing and let skimmer and scrubber do the work.

Reaction score
Thanks to everybody for all your replies

I stopped the vodka, and some of my mushrooms are back to their old form. I have some green mushrooms that seems to take a little bit longer to recover. As predicted by some of you, my chaeto is not as lively as before with some patches dying.

Will play around with the skimmer and the scrubber lighting

Chris

Top Bottom