Soft Red Coral the size of a bucket to swop!

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by brentv, 21 Apr 2010.

1. brentv

brentv

Hey Anyone in Durban or the south coast of KZN
    I have a Big bright Red and white soft coral the size of a bucket with 2 white porcelain coral crabs to swop!!!:thumbup:
    Collection or delivery in these area only (coz it's to frikkin huge to ship!)
    You gotta have a very beeeeeeg tank!
    [​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

Where did you get this? Was it in your tank?

4. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Eish Brent - I would have LOVED that Scleranephtya..... but unfortunately, I am in Cape Town. And my mother-in-law has JUST flown in to us this morning. So - a WEE bit too late.

JUST a word of warning to whom-ever decides to take this coral - IT IS A NPS coral! It does not get it's food from lighting - it NEEDS TO BE FED! (with coral food, small phyto/zoo-plankton, etc).....

5. mnd123

mnd123

Did that come out of the ocean in Shelly Beach?

6. magman

magman

7. mnd123

mnd123

if so, you gonna have to give it away bud, no swoppie swoppie ;)

8. brentv

brentv Thread Starter

Yeah Jacques you right, I am feeding him zooplankton, live Brine and liquidized marine mix...
    He has been in my DT but is to big so I've moved him to my frag tank, they also need loads of current!
    By the way can you frag this species... it would make life a hellova lot easier then I could put a few frags back in my DT and swop frags if it is not taken whole???:whistling:

9. brentv

brentv Thread Starter

Cool mnd123... if I can frag.. you more than welcome to a piece!:)

10. Jaco Schoeman

Guys, just to elaborate on what Jacques said... This is a Non Photosynthetic Coral. The death rate on the corals are even higher than those of goniopora, as they require prestine water quality, whilst having near constant supply of food. As some of you know, I have kept a dedicated NPS system, and even with all my time, effort, food, research, flow etc. I am sad to say the one I had died... :(

They really do look so nice and cool, but they are NOT a walk in the park to keep. IMO, this is one of those corals that only God really knows how to keep... ;)

11. brentv

brentv Thread Starter

Yip I have an awesome reef... it's a 300m swim of shore and is in about 12m of water!
    I hope I can frag this guy!

12. mnd123

mnd123

But just remember that you cannot sell, swop or trade bud, not locally caught, it must be given away

Can you take it back rather? NPS is really difficult, I certainly am not ready for NPS

13. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

I agree with MND. It should rather have been left on that awesome reef 300m off shore.

14. brentv

brentv Thread Starter

Jaco if I can frag this.. I'm not sure??? you are more than welcome to grab a piece for your NPS system! I would love to see it doing well The reef I go to has quite a lot of this species but it is really a tough swim and I can only get there when it is crystals as you have to see it from the top... so it's the first one I've ever taken while I've waited for my tank to mature! If you reckon we will have difficulty keepin it then I will definately not disrupt them again for sure!!!...

15. Bob the (reef)builder

Bob the (reef)builder

I might be wrong, but that is the rule for fish.

Corals are straight not allowed to be taken off the reef .

16. Jaco Schoeman

I do not think they are fragable... Those "stripes" inside their tissue is calcium spinicules, that keep them "together" and support them in the strong current. You might have noticed, that it also has a root system, to anchor it with...

I actually think the downfall of the one had, was two pistol shrimp digging in it's tissue, thus damaging the body and causing it to die...

When it dies, it does so VERY quickly, and it leaves a heap of calcium in your tank, like milk.

Having the NPS experience I have, I would never keep these again.

17. brentv

brentv Thread Starter

Have you ever been in the water looking for bits and pieces for your tank???
    Judge me, but I bet you and most aquarist out there when diving, stumble across an awesome opotunity to get something nice.. a soft coral... prized Moorish idol powder blue etc are going to love the opotunity... I see my wrong in getting this specific species.. not doing homework... but haven't you bought or caught anything that is difficult to keep???????!!!!!!

18. brentv

brentv Thread Starter

Jaco, thank you for the great and positive feed back... being a local species I have access to a great deep rockpond (if you feel it won't live easily or frag!) that I can relocate it and possibly start a new colony! I will definately do this tomorrow (will post pics!) knowing it is not safe.. haa haa thought all local corals were tough... guess these guys actually need the dirty umzimkulu river to live!;)

19. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Bob - only SPS corals is a COMPLETE no-no...... Soft-corals falls under the category of "Invertebrates" (there is not a seperate category for soft-corals in the MCM collection regulations).......

Brent - YES - this is still a soft-coral COLONY. Meaning - not one single coral. They can indeed be "fragged"...... As this is a colony of a multitude of tiny coral polyps - they can and do survive fine without being attached to the rest of the colony.

The calcium spicules that Jaco is referring to, is indeed just to give the whole colony more rigidity......

Good luck!

20. mnd123

mnd123

Its not judgement Brent, its the law we are worried about....

21. Jaco Schoeman

Hey brentv, and all, lets keep calm... Yes, we all do make mistakes, and I agree with you brent. Dont beat yourself up about it too much. Re-introducing it would also not be advisable. The main issue here is to get this coral happy and attached again, and in that time, they normally do not open, and thus do not feed. Without food, they are doomed.

Anyone in KZN willing to give this a go? I can assist from JHB as much as I can, but in a bucket it is as good as in the drain... Let us help brent out here. BTW brent, are you sure you cant keep it in your tank?

Recent Posts