soft coral

Reaction score
Greetings all

Somebody wants to give me this coral. Is it zoas? If so am I right that it needs lots of light and min flow. What should I feed it? Is it a friendly coral? Some of the polyps are not open does this mean they are dead? Is the other stuff on the rock safe?

20140103_155646.jpg
20140102_183256.jpg

Thanks in advance
Paul

20140103_155646.jpg

20140102_183256.jpg

hi paul,

They do look like zoas, they might just be unhappy. I give mine loads of light and they do not mind high flow as long as its not direct flow. perhaps put then at the bottom of your tank for a few days till they open up.

not 100% sure what the rest is maybe tube worms and some macro algae?

zoas are pretty easy to start off with and ou should not worry about feeding them. photosynthesis will take care of them

Hi Paul

That doesnt look good. Remove it from the tank and try blast as much off as you can then put it back into the tank. If you have a coral dip may just dip it first. eg CoralRx @bryan at Jungle Aquatics is close to you and almost always has stock of it

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Paul

That doesnt look good. Remove it from the tank and try blast as much off as you can then put it back into the tank. If you have a coral dip may just dip it first. eg CoralRx @bryan at Jungle Aquatics is close to you and almost always has stock of it

Thanks Adrian

I cut away the dead parts which is about half the frag. I also dipped it. Put the remainder in the tank

Last edited by a moderator:
Did the piece lie in sand previously? those "tentacle" looks like the tubes of worms that normally in the sand.
Or was it recently removed from the ocean? Local most likely. With all those other growth around it, it does look like it. Last picture, at the bottom it does look like a Natal Rock Anemone. They can and will multiply slowly in a system. I do classify them as harmless.

Back
Top Bottom