Soft Coral Query

Reaction score
Hi Hennie

Although I have never been really impressed with this corals PE, it just seems to keep growing.

The "toadstool" is getting quite big.

I was wondering is there a particular size that it will get to where it will be too heavy for it stem/trunck ?

What sort of size is good to frag these kind of coral at ?

I would assume the "pizza" slicing method would be the way to go ?

528496ce6f6de184.jpg

528496ce726e376a.jpg

Reaction score
You cut the whole head off at the "stem" - it will grow a new head.

Then slice up the "head" into some nice frags ;)

RiaanP

Reaction score
OOOUUUCCCHHHH!!!!

I can never do that.

ps
is that an Aptasia to the left of the Toadstool?

Reaction score
Apologies for only replying now, but I'm back at work, and really don't have time during the day... also have a very bad 1.5G internet connection where I stay during the week, which just makes it much too frustrating to connect to the Net in the evenings- anyway, a quick one...

I was wondering is there a particular size that it will get to where it will be too heavy for it stem/trunck ?
I have two large leathers in my tank - the oldest one has been in my care for nearly 10 years, and the other one for perhaps 7 years. Both have grown from having stems of approximately 50mm in diameter to now having stems of around 200mm in diameter. Both are still standing up nicely, and their stems can still support the heads (over 400mm in diameter). So, if there IS a maximum size, mine have not reached it yet.

OOOUUUCCCHHHH!!!!

I can never do that.
Yes, it sounds pretty cruel, but it works, and it emulates nature. It also helps the coral to perform it's most important function in life - to "go forth and multiply", so I don't think it's wrong or cruel.

You can, as Matt suggested, "dice & slice". If you're not quite up to that, you can just make a small cut in the side of the trunk, and (if you're lucky...) it will grow a new "bud" from that spot after it has healed. You could also just cut a small piece off the head or trunk, and it will grow into a new coral.

Hennie

Reaction score
Can any corals once propagated be glued down onto rocks? Or does this only work for certain types?

Reason i ask is, i always read about keeping the frag in place with an elastic band, surely its easier then to glue a coral down than use elastic bands?

Reaction score
Can any corals once propagated be glued down onto rocks? Or does this only work for certain types?

Reason i ask is, i always read about keeping the frag in place with an elastic band, surely its easier then to glue a coral down than use elastic bands?
Some corals secrete too much mucous, to allow the glue to dry affectively.

Genrally soft corals have this problem, especially Zoas and shrooms

Reaction score
Ah ok, so its not a fact of the glue being toxic or infecting the coral its down to the glue being able to dry properly.

Reaction score
May be a bit off topic here, but how then does one super glue the coral to the rock or plug, doesnt taking it out of the water for the time it takes to super glue and let it dry affect the coral in any way?

dallasg

Reaction score
i think u glue it under water

Reaction score
The coral should be fine, loads of the species we keep, have at time to time had exposure to air - natural or not.

Kanga

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
May be a bit off topic here, but how then does one super glue the coral to the rock or plug, doesnt taking it out of the water for the time it takes to super glue and let it dry affect the coral in any way?
It should be fine, even in nature corals get exposed during low tides. They have a slimey protective layer that stops them from losing all their moisture.