Soft Coral Problems

hey war same is happening to my leather and blue star polyps, i also added phos guard a week ago

Hi Warr,
My one kenia tree did the same thing a while ago. He was closed for about 2 weeks. He is doing better now. After he opened up, another kenia tree closed... he was closed for about a week.
I didn't change anything do get them open again - but maybe i was just lucky....?

I started phosguard a few weeks ago and my corals seem fine...

Sims, if you see any of your leathers getting upset please post. Are you running any other absorbents (purigen, carbon, chemi-pure) ?

yip I run Matrx carbon, Purgium, Phos Guard and PO4 remover that I but from Clinton (similar stuff as cempure)

Before Phosguard

Figure_3thumb.jpg

After Phosguard

Figure_4thumb.jpg

I used to care for over 20,000 gallons (@ 76,000 liters) of reef tanks daily and the research in the following link matches my own experience. By the way, Kent Phosphate Sponge will do the same thing to your leathers. Server error!

Hi Warr reeplus concentrated vitamin & amino acid & trace elements,demonsrated to have a positive impact on growth of corals and other desirable reef creatures,It contains boron,iodine,iron,zinc,maganese,bromide,cobalt,molybdenum,vanadium,nikel,tin,rubidium,ascorbic acid(vit c),thiamin(b1),riboflavin(b2),niacin(b3),pantothenate(b5),vitamin(b12),choline(b4),inosltol,arginine,glutamate,lysine,tyrosine
it is formulated to provide nutrients available from natural tropical reef waters.

Ok, I have the Po4 reactor off for the last week. The colt/kenyan and leather are showing signs of recovering but the pincushions are still the same.

Should I leave the PO4 reactor off for longer ?

Also, how do softies react to Ferrous oxide compounds ?

Have you tried Rowaphos, never had problems with it - i suppose we have to be careful when using certain products, we could be turning our tanks into chemical soup.

Have you tried Rowaphos, never had problems with it - i suppose we have to be careful when using certain products, we could be turning our tanks into chemical soup.

Yip i am wondering if I have too many absorbants. But then also the SPS are loving it, so abit of a catch 22.

Quick heads up to all reefers, I may have found the problem with my softies. This little screw is releasing iron oxide (rust) into the water column and upsetting the soft corals.

I will know within the next week if this was the exact cause, but what I have heard about rust in marine tanks is not good, so beware

52848a7391154777.jpg

Another reason to run a magnet through your sand - from wherever you get it.

and i think i have found my source too warr.

i stopped adding vinegar to my tank and my leathers opened 2 days after that.
can this also be true?

Back
Top Bottom