Soft coral id plz

Reaction score
hey guys this softie is in my mantis tank, going to upgrade light on the tank
whould love to know what it is, LFS told me sinularia, but i don't think so

DSC01608.jpg

Some kind of leather i think, hang on i will have a little search around.

Just checked a couple of id sites, sinularia seems the most likely, why do you think it isn't?

I don't think you can hotlink the database pics, but yep it does look like it to me.

I can see you confusion - I still believe that the singularia is actually the FINGER LEATHER CORAL. As I own two. AND I used to own a cabbage leather coral - and they are DEFINITELY NOT THE SAME....

Another thing - lobophytum corals in my books have very small mounds for "fingers", and is usually an "encrusting" type of leather coral, meaning that it grows low on the rock, unlike sinularia that grows upwards like a tree, with a single central stalk/base/foot....

Yes - this looks a LOT more like a lobophytum (as I had one) than the one in your first pic in post # 1. The coral in the pic in post # 1 looks more like a singularia to me (since I have two of these in my tank currently)...

nice, now i know too, thanks jac
is that the real colour or is it bleached? #1

Hmmm tell the Bananaman something and he will only believe you if it has been confirmed by a MASA member :) Freak.

nice, now i know too, thanks jac
is that the real colour or is it bleached? #1

Hi Lanzo - no - it's not bleached - just "stressed" a little....

I should become a light pink'ish coloration once the polyps really start to come out.

IF this is indeed the same coral I have, then please take note that they do "sulk" often. They are part of the "leather coral" family ;-):thumbup:

His white balance is off in that photo. That coral is white as paper. I believe it is bleached.

yip,it's white.
and i'm colour blind,hehe:whistling:
luckily i have a friend thats not, thanks tjom

Back
Top Bottom