Sodwana in June

Discussion in 'Diving, Collecting and Environmental Discussions' started by Annoying, 26 May 2012.

1. Annoying

Annoying

Hey

Well going to do a bit of diving at the end of June at Sodwana. Just wanted to find out what will I most likely see at that time? I'v dived there before in September and found some dolphins:). Also can't wait to test out my kind of new (secondhand) underwater camera:yeahdude:.

Owh and could someone please tell me if the road works are still going on? Last year we waited almost two hours. Can someone maybe give a better road to follow. Went through Nelspruit around Swaziland the previous time.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Manic

Manic Moderator

Just come back from Ponta. The road works were still very much on. There was about 5 stop and go's. We didn't get caught to much on the way there but had to wait about 20mins at each one on the way back.

4. Annoying

Annoying Thread Starter

I'm guessing that I'll just have to prepare for some waiting:(

5. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Talk to Brian Ring at the AquariumExpo2012. He owns Reef Teach in Sodwana.

6. Annoying

Annoying Thread Starter

Wish I could go to the aquarium expo writing physics on the 8th of June:(. My reservation is made at reefteach and I'm diving with them, maybe I'll just give them a call. Thanks NJ

7. Annoying

Annoying Thread Starter

Leaving in a week for Sodwana, any tips on how to take pics with a compact camera underwater?

8. brentch

brentch

First NB thing is rub the O rings of the casing with a small amount of vaseline.
    Take silicone crystals with for inside the casing because the lens sometimes mists up.

Now for the stuff I know less about... Set your camera to its highest resolution, and have a low ISO setting.

Fast shutter speed.

Some cameras have the ability to increase the natural red light, compensating for less colour at depth.

9. Reefhead

Reefhead

Also leaving in a week
    What dates you gonna be there, who you diving with?
    If you there the same time we can dive together, i always take pics and vids, maybe we can swop some pics and I will give you a DVD with vids

10. Reefhead

Reefhead

if you live in hoedspruit why dont you travel through Swaziland

11. Annoying

Annoying Thread Starter

Staying from the 23 to 30 June, staying at Reefteach.

I think the main reason is all our passports aren't ready (gonna be a big group with some kids that don't have passports)

12. Annoying

Annoying Thread Starter

Luckily my camera came with an underwater function, where can I get silicon crystals?

13. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

Hey annoying, im a big time sodwana diver & also doing my 4th sodwana bay underwater photography shootout this year, im no pro, but if you got any underwater photography questions, just drop me a pm & ill give you all the info you will need, lol.
    For june, you can expect to see some rather big manta rays on stringer reef, keep an eye out for some rather beautiful nudibranches.
    If your lucky, you might also see some of the ragged tooth sharks that come there every winter!!!

When driving there, i would say its best to take the ermelo to piet retief to pongola to hluhluwe to mbazwana road.
    Dont even try to take the jozini road between pongola & mbazwana, its a horrible gravel road!!! (drove there a month ago)

14. Annoying

Annoying Thread Starter

Thanks a lot for the reply, will be sure to keep it in mind when we leave.

PM sent:)

15. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

Hi, i also have a sony cybershot that i use as a backup camera, they are excellent little cameras & i would recommend them to anyone.

P.S. sorry for posting your pm on your thread, just thought someone else might also take benefit from it...

Firstly, i wouldnt recommend that you use the underwater mode, it has very limited advantages in taking pics at depths greater than 10m. The best is to set the camera to the program "P" mode.
    This allows you to set more individually.
    Set your EV in photo menu to -0.5 as a start with (decrease ev to eliminate glair & overexposure. This makes a big difference in pic quality)

Next, set your focus setting to centre point focus, this allows you to take in focus pics even in nooks & crannies of the reef!

Set your white balance "WB" to flash mode even when taking pics without flash) but sometimes you get better pics with underwater WB you get better pics, bit this comes with excersize.

Set color filter to red / warm to eliminate blue color underwater. (warm looks better most of the time)

Set exposure mode to central mode (not centre point) this helps to keep exposure locked on subject & not overall, which can be annoying when taking pics in shadows!

If you have a flash diffuser cover... Always leave it on as it helps to minimize reflections from particles in watercolumn!

As a beginner, try to take all your pics between 10 & 50cm with flash on. (as close as possible) This will help you take nice pics from the beginning.
    Try to take more pics of the little stuff, nudibranches, crabs, corals & similar critters that dont swim away when you try to point a lens at them, lol
    If you want to take fish pics, start of by looking for hawkfish, puffers, midas blennies (sticking head out of hole), scorpionfish, eels (please watch out for the black cheek eels, THEY BITE), & my all time favourite, rock cods (they love posing)
    [​IMG]
    (google image)

For nice macro pics, look under ledges/overhangs for critters, there is often some nice nudis, slugs, fishies & shrimps. You can also look under magnifica anemone columns for porcellain crabs.

When taking fish pics, try to "follow" them with camera without making any sudden movements/kicks which scares them off immediately.

Lastly, please please please get your boyancy 110% before taking even a single pic, as you WILL damage the corals & reef if your tryng to take pics if you have a negative boyancy!!!
    (rather have a very slight positive boyancy).
    When taking pics, use your index finger to balance yourself on the reef. (watch out for those urchins!)

& remember to enjoy it. Photography is the most fun you can possibly have while diving!!!

Hope this help to get you started & please post your pics for us to see!!!

Annoying likes this.
  16. Annoying

Annoying Thread Starter

Awesome info! Thanks a lot, will post some pics if any come out good:p

17. brentch

brentch

You can probably get the crystals from dischem...

18. Reefhead

Reefhead

@Annoying which route do you plan on travelling down to Sodwana
    Also how long do you estimate the trip to take?

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  19. Annoying

Annoying Thread Starter

I'll try at our pharmacy but don't think they will have it.

Most likely we will take the road through Nelspruit and then follow the road as Visser suggested. Should take us roughly 8 to 10 hours depending on the road works. Luckily we are leaving 2:00 am Saturday morning.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  20. Annoying

Annoying Thread Starter

Leaving in 8 hours:yeahdude:, wish me luck, hope the weather is awesome!

21. fila

fila

Best of luck hope the weather hold out for you, and your trip is all you wnt it to be and more!!! Don't forget to take them pics we all LOVE pics

Recent Posts