So, who carries a knife (and why...)

Discussion in 'The Sump' started by Reef Maniac, 4 Sep 2011.

1. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Hi everyone,

I'm in the market for a new pocket knife, and spent some time on the 'net just generally browsing around looking at knives. I grew up with a knife in my pocket, having received my first Joseph Rogers from my late father at the age of five, and have very rarely been without one ever since. Now, back in those days (and ever since, for me...) a knife was considered to be a tool, and NOT a weapon (all the Voortrekkers and Boy Scouts were REQUIRED to carry a knife to all get-togethers & meetings, which normally took place at school during break, or just after school...), and after all these years I feel that I'm not properly dressed if I do not have a knife in my pocket.

For the past 5-6 years I have been carrying a cheap "no-name-brand" knife which has given me pretty good use, but I have now decided to treat myself to a nice, new "brand name" pocket knife - hence this thread :biggrin:

So, what pocket knife do you ladies and gents carry on a daily basis - and why have you chosen that particular knife?

Oh, and of course, please post photos or links :whistling:

Hennie

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. crispin

crispin

i carry a knife alot, especailly in winter where i need it to open round bales of feed for sheep, but on a farm we use knives all the time. I was carrying my hunting knife on my belt but thats a valuable tool and i had tio sharpen it often so now ive gone back to using my leatherman which has a very sharp yet short blade on it. i find thats easier (all be it a little heavey on my belt or pocket) and i have it as a utility device more than just the blade.

4. crispin

crispin

oh but then again I also like to have a weapon for people whom abuse LS

5. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Leather mans are cool, not the same caracter as some wooden handel knives, but sharp, precision made and good quality. You can fix that plug, light unit, cut biltong and even frag corals :p

6. Theo

Theo

The best of the best, VICTORINOX SWISS KNIFES, pricy, but well worth it. Worth every penny!!!!!

7. LCornelius

LCornelius Moderator

Have a look at the brand "Cold Steel", best knife I have ever had!

8. fly*

fly* MASA Contributor

I have a simple Swiss army knife, the basic one, 2 blades, toothpic and tweezers BUT the whole airport travel thing has really stuffed it all up for me. I forget that the knife is with me so when I get to through the search counter I tend to lose my knife. I've lost about 3 knives like this so I just dont bother anymore. Rather I have a small tool case which gets pulled out of my backpack whenever I travel. The irony is I can normally get the knife out of JHB, but then it's taken off me in CPT where I cant collect them back :)

9. FransSny

FransSny

I keep a Leatherman Wave in the bakkie , practical tool to have nearby

10. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac Thread Starter MASA Contributor

Yes, airport security really suck... and the irony is that it is all just for show - my Bic pen is probably more dangerous than my knife (it can penetrate deeper) but it is fine :(

I'm currently thinking of a Kershaw Scallion, although there are some really nice Pumas and one or two Gerbers that I'm also interested in.

Hennie

11. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

Hmm yes back in the day i was knife crazy I have a Spyderco great knives and the one handed functionality is great(you can open it with your thumb), gerber, Kershaw, cold steel all great brands, go and see the actual knifes play with them feel the balance and then decide on 1

12. crispin

crispin

lol ive dismantled the stuffed rear drive shaft of a landy 130d with a leatherman wave and a rock 140km outside od Guru (google map that and you'll find it deep in darkest africa). Took just over 7 hours but got me going again:) Awesum tool and i still have the same one going after 12 years now

13. mupwi

mupwi

I carry a leatherman most to the time I have 2 a supertool 200 and a smaller one cant remember the name both useful but the supertool 200 normally stays in the car or my laptop bag nowadays as it is just too heavy for not enough extra utility.

For diving I have a low profile thin bladed diveknife for finishing off my speared fish and cutting lines ect but I actually prefer my old solid heavy old school dive knife unfortunately it went overboard one time and I haven't yet replaced it.

A lot of my friends cary a simple single bladed folding knife that you can open single handed with your thumb and I really like those aswell so if I didn't have need for the pliers and screwdrivers so often I would probably carry one of those instead of my leatherman

14. magman

magman

Puma, My Oupa, Dad and myself all carry one, I have just inherited my Oupas old knife, the blade is so worn from being sharpened, but also with airports etc it is a pain, as they too sentimental to leave behind.

15. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

Gents there is a big difference between a knife and a multipurpose tool
    Leatherman = Multipurpose tool
    Knife = Knife

16. Reef Maniac

:biggrin: :biggrin:

Agreed - had a Leatherman Wave, but lost it to affirmative shopping some time ago when I forgot it in my car that I took in for a service :( Great tool, and it even has a good knife blade ;) but much too bulky for everyday carry in a pocket - and I don't like carrying it in a pouch either...

I want a new single-bladed POCKET knife, to replace my current pocket knife. I do own a Kershaw "mini cyclone" pocket knife, that I have been using for quite a few years as my hunting knife, but it is too large/heavy/bulky for "normal" everyday use. It is a great knife, though, and is the main reason why I'm considering the Scallion "small brother" - same form, same good quality... just smaller.

Hennie

17. FransSny

FransSny

Hennie , if you are looking for a pure "pocket knife" have a look at Herbst Knives in Gauteng. Wife bought me one , 12 years later still going strong.

They are on the web as well : http://www.herbst.co.za/

18. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

A big difference also between knife = knife, as you get a butter knife, cheese knife, diving knife, bread knife, etc

and a cheese knife DOES NOT equal a diving knife, so knife DOES NOT equal knife :tt2:

19. Nsteyn

Nsteyn

I would also advise the herbst way. There are several good knife makers aroumd, and you wont find better, more personal than a good quality 'made' knife

Last edited: 6 Sep 2011
  20. Reef Maniac

OK, I've done the deed, and have decided to stick with my first choice - the Kershaw Scallion.

Here's a pic of it with it's big brother, my Kershaw mini Cyclone, which I've been using as a hunting knife for the last 4-5 years:

[​IMG]

Hennie

21. pXius

pXius

Wonder what Bear Grylls uses :whistling::whistling::whistling:

EDIT:
    Did some googling, apparently he uses a Bayley S4. Which will set you back about $665 IF you can find one. There's already a waiting list for secondhand ones. To get one you'll need to talk to a agent/dealer specializing in knife trade.

Last edited: 6 Sep 2011
Recent Posts