So talk to me about pool salt....

Reaction score
:whistling:

I know the same idea has gone through everybody's head - using the cheap evap sea salt used for pool chlorination.

I've done a bit of reading up and the general consensus seems to be: :nono:, due to the chemical makeup being different to synth salts, the presence of phosphates and the formation of insoluble calcium carbonate and whatnot.

However, it only managed to get my hardegat-corpuscle gyrating a little bit. A lot of what I've read seems like hear-say, with words like "probably" and "likely" and so on dominating the discourse. There doesn't seem to be anybody who has first-hand experience with this stuff. I'm getting the impression that too much synth manufacturers' hype is being swallowed wholesale. (Please set me straight on this account if necessary).

So I'd like some straight answers if possible. Has anyone tried it or tested it with their kits?

Also, and this is a hypothetical question - let's assume there was some sort of embargo on synth salts, and you had to make a plan with cheap evap pool salt. How would you go about conditioning it so it became usable?

I'm also toying with the idea of somehow recycling, treating and reconditioning used WC water. I realise that trace elements and stuff would get depleted, but there has to be a way around these things.

Thanks!
Riaan

dont use it, not worth it and very far from been what we need....

if there was an embargo i would drive to the coast, or make my won using RHF salt recipe, but if you think salt is expensive, try making your own

No offence, but stop looking for short cuts and cheaper ways to do things. Once you spend R2000 on a fish or more you will want to use the best salt possible to ensure you don't flysh that R2000 down the toilet in a day or two.

yup but not worth it

and you have to by in bulk

I'll be straight up here. The cost of salt mixes makes me want to :puke:

That said - it helps to keep things in perspective sometimes. A plastic 500g bottle of iodised table salt can rip you 10 bucks depending on where you buy. So that's R20/kg.

So that would be R400/kg for plain jane salt you make your biltong with... not much cheaper is it?

From experience:
Po4 0.06 - 0.08
NO3 0, but after a few days 5ppm
Nothing unmanageable.
HOWEVER, the nitrates are indicative of organics, which begs the question, what other unknowns...
Ca 370
Mg 1100
Did not bother to test anything else.
My previous tank when i cooked rock used it for initial soaking and washing.
Would not chance delicate specimens like corals in it.
Have you seen a salt pan? Windy, sandy, etc.

As usual, we can always trust our boys @dallasg and @irie ivan to not lead us astray!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I am now convinced. Even if it is manageble, I think the most important thing to realise is that you have no idea what will be found from bag to bag, so stability and consistency goes out the window.

Back
Top Bottom