So Many Options????

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers, Mechanical Filtration' started by brentv, 29 Nov 2010.

1. brentv

brentv

Hi Guys, There are seriously so many skimmer options out there now and everyone is a die hard fan of this one and cone skimmer that one!!! I have a 1600L and was hoping to spend in the region of about R4000-R5000. What is my best option??? I have space for an internal or external?:whistling:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. rakabos

rakabos

Cant go wrong with a Reef Octopus ;)

4. Tony

Tony

Reef octo good bang for your buck and very reliable. Maybe a bubble blaster which will work well on a tank your size

5. brentv

brentv Thread Starter

I have a Aqua Medic Shorty at the moment with an Ocean Runner 3500 pump, but it doesn't cut it for my system, but I am selling it this week to a guy with a fish only system... so need a replacement, but don't wanna choose wrong coz, Damn there are a load of different options... and prices!

6. Yuri

Yuri

get a new style deltec from our friend

7. Tony

Tony

The AM is a bit old school and underrated for your system

8. Falcon

Falcon

True but there are better skimmers out for much more reasonable prices than reeftek IMO.

I dont have much experience in as large a tank as you are setting up so I cant comment on an exact model of skimmer we'll have to wait for the super sized okes comments:)

I've heard good reports of the bubble magus skimmers recently on various forums incl international ones....

9. Mauritius-aquarist

Mauritius-aquarist

My opinion, nothing come close to a Deltec the new series!
    The TC 2560 will be perfect for your tank, but then comes the money factor, unfortunately quality has a price! U can have look at the new Tunze skimmers, sounds good but not close to Deltec.

10. mookz

mookz

Look at the Reef Octopus extreme 200 - 250 they are AWESOME and well priced, I got one second hand and it skimz like a beast.

11. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

for 1600L tank I would suggest a bubble blaster 5000 or a DNW250 or any other skimmer that pulls a Minimum of 1500Lph of AIR that will ensure a reaction chamber of 250mm big and thats what i would say you need for your size tank.

12. lIghty

lIghty

RO Bubble Blaster 5000, best bang for buck!

13. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

yip second hand bb5000 would be great and within budget.

14. Yuri

Yuri

15. lIghty

lIghty

Yuri, I'm not with you, are you talking about the 1200l? coz thats right! but IMHO it will handle 1600ltrs easy.

16. Yuri

Yuri

that 1200L is the rating for medium stocked (i know brent he collects fish so the tank is always full )

17. Tony

Tony

Also bear in mind the back up service if something breaks with whichever skimmer you buy. I had a deltec once and when the pump broke I had to buy another skimmer because there was no backup and spares.Only after four months did another pump arrive

18. TheWaterboy

TheWaterboy Sponsor

i sell a range of skimmers......bang for buck, and back up service......reef octopus.
    same day back up........sometimes next day!
    check out our online store for some untouchable specials we negotiated with the importer on some of the range including the cones! (xp series).

everyone has opinions on skimmers.......i personally chose tunze for my new tank....purely cause of power consumption and the importer lives down the road.

if i had to reccommend a skimmer for the criteria you lay down........weather you buy from us or elsewhere.....buy a reef-octopus........there new range is wicked

19. Mauritius-aquarist

Mauritius-aquarist

Marco u made a mistake with my pump my friend.....................!

I am personally not fan of Reef-octopus, but lots of people in the state and here in SA seems to use it, must be fine skimmer. I must admit I never saw a single unit in France and Germany, the skimmers who I found highly rated are Deltec, Bubble king, Schuran and H&S...... but quite expensive if not somehow excessively expensive...!

20. magman

magman

enough guys have said it already, get the reef octo BB 5000, worth it by a long way

21. TheWaterboy

TheWaterboy Sponsor

yeah you told me on skype, e-mail and pm.....apologies for that but we were so busy arranging free shipping for you across the world and you changed the order a few times just hours before the carrier was leaving that it must have looped through the system........its not like you paid for it dude;)......since it has'nt been paid for then have it as a christmas pressie from waterboy to sagar......:thumbup:
    however please ensure the monies for all the other stuff we sent is deposited into our mauritius account i gave you.
    how about a big thank you for getting a 4x 3ft t5 lighting unit all the way to mauritius at cost price with no shipping fees:razz:

with regard to the question at hand here by bent.......hes not asking whats the best skimmer in the world!......hes asking for a 1600 litre system what is hes best options in the price range of R4000 to R5000 rand (Rs 16000 - Rs 20000 mauritian rupees)

you will not find a bubble king (even with direct import) or a deltec etc etc for rating of 1600 litres heavy stocked for R4000 and i stand to be corrected, but unless you recieve it at cost, not even a h&s.....

so again......for that kind of money, if you want to buy something reliable, that works, build quality is far better than most excessivly expensive brands........then you have 2 options.......1 is reefoctopus and another is being launched in the country very soon. dont want to mention brand until its physically here and the back up is up to standards

Recent Posts