so i need help? lots off it

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Johan van Aardt, 24 May 2009.

1. Johan van Aardt

Johan van Aardt I love marines [R.I.P.]

me and my dad want to build a tank, something i have been raving for a very long time now and i thimk my dad only gave in beccause he got iritated, so i have a few qeustions and would like some advice.

ok this tank is going to be 700mm(wide), 500mm(high), and 600mm(long). wich totals 210 liters, the sump will the house about 120 liters, but not sure bout the dimensions yet.

1. when building your own tank what should you look out for?
    2.whats the diffrence between normal silicone and black silicone and were do you get the black silicone(i like it more than normal silicone)
    3.what is the point of bracing at the top because according to my dad there is little pressure at the the top(we are going to use ten mm glass)
    4. im planning an overflow and return that sits together, overflow outside pipe, return pipe, pipe inside, is this good or not realli as it saves a bit of space.
    5. should the skimmer be rated for more than the tank?
    6. last but not least what should the L/hour of the return pump be.

Sorry for all the qeastions just really want to get this right.:P:yeahdude:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Warr7207

Warr7207

1. when building your own tank what should you look out for?
    Get your measurements right, and tell your glass supplier what you making, they will advise if your measurements are wrong.

Think of where you need to drill the tank, better to get the glass supplier to do this.

Make sure your tank base is thick enough. We hear of loads of bases cracking do to the weight and movement of LR structures in the tank. I would double up the base IE: 2 x 10mm

2.whats the diffrence between normal silicone and black silicone and were do you get the black silicone(i like it more than normal silicone) Black silicone is automotive silicone and not specified for Marine tanks by the manufacturers. You should get a Marine Black silicone, which is not easy to get locally

3.what is the point of bracing at the top because according to my dad there is little pressure at the the top(we are going to use ten mm glass) The bracing holds both pieces together, as the lateral pressure of 200kg of water is also sideways

4. im planning an overflow and return that sits together, overflow outside pipe, return pipe, pipe inside, is this good or not realli as it saves a bit of space.
    Have you got a diagram or example of this ?

5. should the skimmer be rated for more than the tank?
    If possible, yes

6. last but not least what should the L/hour of the return pump be.

I would go with a minium 1500L/h, but you could go bigger.

4. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

Warr has it pretty spot on here, but just a point on the silicone, white or black makes no difference, although if used properly (ie use masking tape to make the joints clean) the black stuff does look pretty cool, but you must use high polymer silicone - use only if it is aquarium silocone - any other will fall to bits in minutes.

5. marine101

marine101

Also with regards to making a glass tank. Yes u may save a few hundred on making it yourself, but im just saying consider buying as these people have experience and therefore your tank will b neater and probably safer.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Warr7207

Warr7207

Local Silicone manufacturers have stated that Black silicone for automotive use is not "safe" for aquarium tanks as they have not done any tests on the effect of the fungicides that are included in the silicone.

Recent Posts