So hermits should not be in reef tanks!

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by mandarinman, 19 Mar 2013.

1. mandarinman

mandarinman

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Gesiggie

Gesiggie Challenge accepted

Interesting article.
    Some valid points on hermits. But I do believe that the key to keeping hermits happy, is the ratio of hermits per system volume.

I still believe that you do need hermits to maintain balance in the system, but again... in moderation. Like everything else.

One problem I can foresee with the Nassarius species, would be that I would then have to feed my tank fish, should I wish to keep them. Not something you can introduce to a tank that have to run on pellets unattended for 3 weeks at a time...:whistling:

4. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

oh well. I got a lot of hermits, plus plenty of snails. Most of the hermits are local yellow tip hermits. And contrary to the linked article you can find them in the rockpools in great numbers together. 50 to 100 within 1 square meter is not uncommon.

Anyway, the biggest issue with them attacking snails is the lack of empty shells. They would much rather try an empty shell than try to fight and kill a snail for his. and mostly its the snails that do fell off and lands on their backs that are not able to get "back on their feet" that fell victim. I strongly suspect that they actually die first before the hermits eat them.

Other big hermits like Dardanus Migestos will and do eat snails. They are big.

Nassarius snails needs enough carrion to be able to survive. Too many and you need to actively feed them mussel or something to be able to keep them. I got 3 in my remote DSB and I do like them. Biggest species is a Babylonian whelk.

5. Paul B

Paul B

This pair lived in my reef for 13 years and I really don't have any Idea how many are in there now but I don't let them read articles like that, or they won't speak to me.

[​IMG]

6. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

When I did my tank move last year in August, I counted my cleanup crew. I then had 98 hermits in my 750L system. Some moved out to my quarantine system and some to the extra 220L tank in my garage.

most are the small local yellow tip hermit. I do believe that they do a good job in my system.

7. mandarinman

mandarinman Thread Starter

My cleanup crew is one mexican red leg hermit. Six emerald crabs and ten nassarius snails.plus three turbos and two tuxedo urchins

8. pkc

pkc

I haven’t read the article but over quite a few years I have had good and bad experiences with hermits. The yellow claw is the best to keep. Make sure you get them very small so they will not hunt your fish so they will only do what they are good at, cleaning up and eating cyano. Don’t have larger shells so they can up grade or they will hunt your fish, tube worms, shedding shrimp and eat some lps corals. They are a very destructive creature, if they can get big enough and they need larger shells available to do that. They can find resting fish at lights out via the smell from their anus and then rip their guts out literally. I would never have them; there are many ways to get rid of cyano naturally with out them. We have the yellow claws in massive numbers at low tide at open ocean sites as well and in shallow rock pools, they get into the algae and cyano exposed at low tide that dies out of the water and the live stuff in the very shallow waters.For the early days of red cyano,they are brilliant at keeping it at near nothing at all.

Last edited by a moderator: 20 Mar 2013
  9. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

obvious also a local Australian name. Do you have their scientific name?
    What is their maximum size?

The South African local Yellow Tip Hermit Crab (Clibanarius sp.) do not grow very big. Max body length less than 30mm.

On this thread is some nice pictures of them
    Good Or Bad Hermit? - Marine Aquariums South Africa

10. Paul B

Paul B

I took away their bow and arrows so now they can't hunt. I have all blue legged hermits, I think, I never really looked that close.

11. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

I agree with @RiaanP amd @Paul B. My yellow tipped hermits have never given me a day of trouble. I am looking for Nassarius snails though, maybe two or three for my glass box, but they are as rare as flying pigs!!!

Does any sponsor have them, PLEASE!!

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  12. pkc

pkc

I have used the yellow claw for certain reasons and have never kept them beyond the initial cyano clean up and the inevitable shorter life span due to no chance of shell up grading.
    Other hermits in the past have given me grief, when I didn’t know which one is best or the importance of not letting them attain some size and subsequently gathered information. Also from my own observations on how they can be trouble and how big some can get, if you are silly enough to proved shells for upsizing that is.
    I haven’t used them for some time now; it would be over 15 years since the last time I used them for cyano. It’s quite easy to remove cyano with out them; I just starve it out by importing the nutrients they need, out side of the aquarium. My racemosa loves orthophosphate.
    The yellow claw are the cilibanarius viresens,you guys should have them over on the eastern side of Africa, you can find them on our side of the equator. They are a very small species compared to most, but are full size of just over 30 mill, that is to big,in my opinion. I only kept them at under 6 mill in size with shells of very young morula marginalba,its an oyster driller, they are endemic to east Auz.
    We have some pretty hermits over here, but I would trust them nearly the same as I would a mantis.
    There is a pic of them in here.
    http://southeastqueenslandm.aforumfree.com/t1204-clean-up-crew-found-near-brisbane-in-seq#4224

Recent Posts