So all the thriving fish forums in SA has died in the last 5 years?

Reaction score
Been a member on multiple forums for the last 15 years, seems like all activity has dried up on all of them?

Really sad... is sareefkeeping permanently under maintenance now?

Yeah, don’t think it has been active in probably 5 years, if not more. Once the SARK shop opened it sort of morphed into only the shop and no more forum.

Wow, ok cool so mich cathing up i have to do.... i still remember when you were only active on planted tank forums, and now you are an masa mod! Congrats!

Wow, ok cool so mich cathing up i have to do.... i still remember when you were only active on planted tank forums, and now you are an masa mod! Congrats!

Lol, that was 12-13 years ago, still have a planted tank as well.:lol: Riaan is still around here quite often as well.

Whatsapp took over but they not nearly as good as the forums....I actually left all the whatsapp groups. Always the same people talking about the same stuff.

Lives are to busy. What's up easier to post pictures of one's tank ect. Also what's up groups are more local. Having said that I prefer forums. Lots of information xyz. Ita easier for a beginner to get the wrong Advice on a what's up group.

Yeah thats one thing, if you start this hobby you better hope you have come accross some kind of forum

I like forums too, because the content is more permanent. If I'm looking for information about a certain fish, for instance, the jackpot is to find a forum thread from someone posting their experiences over months or years in detail. You can't get that on social media. I'm on a lot of whatsapp groups only in the hope of getting tips on where to find/buy things, but even that means skimming through a lot of small talk for the occasional bit of good information.

I like forums too, because the content is more permanent. If I'm looking for information about a certain fish, for instance, the jackpot is to find a forum thread from someone posting their experiences over months or years in detail. You can't get that on social media. I'm on a lot of whatsapp groups only in the hope of getting tips on where to find/buy things, but even that means skimming through a lot of small talk for the occasional bit of good information.
Completely agree, most of my research on certain things involves reading through old threads on all the different forums. Also left all the WhatsApp groups as I found 99% of the chat is a waste of time, time I’d rather spend doing maintenance on my tanks.
@AbuDabi What was your username on G4Y/FF/APSA/SARK ?

I disagree on the Theory that Whatsapp Groups Killed
the Forum. There a few well known Forums that is Still Really Active today. Although not in SA. It’s all about the People and How they are treated. Thats My thoughts.

It is not only WhatsApp, Facebook also is killing a lot of forums worldwide. Not only fish forums, reptile birds, Offroading, cars, etc.. Facebook marketplace taking on Gumtree, Junkmail, OLX etc. I just do not understand how single linear discussion thread on WhatsApp can be better than forums with multiple sub sections and threads?

If you look at a forum like Reef2reef, they have lots of incentives to post, like a badge once you start a tread, badges for tank of the month and lots of giveaways that's only available on the forum. They also have social media channels that link back to the forum. Its also very interactive with polls like - Who uses Random Flow Generators etc.
Maybe we can look at incentives to have people post more , like the monthly tank progression pictures and getting people to post build threads.

Much prefer forums then social groups.
They tend to talk too much irrelevant stuff.

Forums are still the go to for lots of info and without them I would t be in the hobby.

Information relevancy on forums tops groups completely.
I think adapting forums to Tapatalk and similar would Make them more accessible

Back
Top Bottom