Snowflake vs honeycomb moray?

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by danimal, 6 Sep 2011.

1. danimal

danimal

Hey guys

So I'm thinking about getting a small eel, trying to do as much research as possible before going ahead.

First off - there are plenty of both species near Durban - are there any restrictions on catching them? (i've got the standard marine collecting license)

Secondly - what advice can you give? Which one is a better candidate? I know they are both escape artists, and can give your filtration quite a klap. Also that crustacenas and shrimps can and will be preyed upon, there are stories that if they are kept well fed this is not much of an issue.

A question I have is that when diving I often see caves shared by coral banded shrimp and morays - why is this, if they are its natural prey?

Anyway, any thoughts/advice would be appreciated.

Cheers
    Dan

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. FransSny

FransSny

Dan , the Snowflake stays smaller (normally less than 1 meter) whereas the Honeycomb grows huge.

I kept a snowflake (collected from Salt Rock with standard permit) in my 1,5 mtr mixed reef. Never had any issues

4. Adee

Adee

I used to be a member of Durban Paddlski Club, and fished Limestone often...once caught a honecomb moray that was as thick at my thigh...

5. danimal

danimal Thread Starter

cool, thanks FransSny.

did you have to escape-proof the tank?

I am thinking of redoing the hood for my tank (at the moment it is enclosed, in summer the heat and humidity is horrendous - i ran fans for a while but the noise was irritating) the new design will be more open, but will have quite high sides - approx 20cm.

would i have to enclose overflow, return pipes etc?

6. Jeann1

Jeann1

Hi.

Not to be the bearer of bad news here, but the snowflake is also very agressive.

@Tobes has one , it is agro as can be, still tiny, but snails, hermits etc. dont stand a chance!

He can tell you the whole story, it has killed off a few hermits and snails already

Last edited: 6 Sep 2011
  7. danimal

danimal Thread Starter

this and the escape factor are my two main concerns. snails and hermits - i don't really mind, living in durban there are easily replenishable. its my goldies i worry about...

8. Boegie

Boegie

I once seen a cleaner shrimp inside a moray eal, cleaning his mouth, on tv. But I was told it would be a different story putting them together in a tank.

9. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Yip, cute but very agro. Can grow to 75cm. Mine is about 15cm long and I feed him nearly a whole piece of lance fish(head and tail removed) daily and still he targeted my big hermits. He goes into the shell at least half of his body and literely rip the hermit to pieces inside his shell. When I feed brine shrimp or mysis and he smells it, he comes out and even challenges my butterfly who is ten times his size, he just goes mal like a mad dog until he gets his fish.
    Not impossible to keep, but remember that he is not invert safe at all and can go into overflows, etc. Provide a piece of pipe in the sand with a elbow, level to the sand surface for him to hide in, or rocks with lots of holes. And don't feed him by hand - his teeth point backwards to prevent a pray from escaping and he goes into a death roll, so the bite might be painful :p

10. danimal

danimal Thread Starter

ok cool, well i think i will give it a bash.

i'll put mesh across the overflow and return, and any other exits.

I saw two on Limestone on Sunday (apparently there was a great white around, didn't see him though, lol) willgo back on the weekend, the one was quite small, ill see if i can remember where he was :p

11. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Seeing that you want to go ahead, take the snowflake, not the honeycomb. Some info:

Echidna nebulosa
    Origin - Indo Pacific
    Grows to 75cm
    Very agro and a messy eater, so make sure system can handle bioload.
    Needs daily feedings, lance fish is perfect when very small like mine.
    Will target hermits, snails, small fish, shrimps and crabs
    Provide hiding places to make it feel secure or it can and will ascape if not happy or trying to investigate and gets lost :p
    Can be kept with bigger fish like angels, groupers, lionfish and puffers.

I love mine to bits, very cute little agro bugger :)

danimal likes this.
  12. danimal

danimal Thread Starter

thanks tobes :thumbup:

snowflake it is!

13. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Did you push the button? :whistling:

14. AfricaOffroad

AfricaOffroad

I had a small one a long time ago.
    Got very tame, would eat out my hand during feeding time.
    And sometimes would eat my hand ! Obviously the fish smell that got him excited. Had an amazingly strong bite for such a small fish.

I cant recall any issues with the moray and my fish, goldies incl

15. danimal

danimal Thread Starter

i did!

16. danimal

danimal Thread Starter

oh and now the real question is: how do i catch him? ;)

fish and two nets with a scary stick are one thing, but how do you actually convince an eel that he wants to go in your catchbucket?

17. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Baie versigtig :lol:

18. chikaboo

chikaboo

Hey there bud .... Go to a shop that sells alot plastic ware and look around for a kind of picnic basket ... Works like a charm .... Once in the basket float the whole thing in a bucket of water on your way home and do this for a few days in the tank as well ..... Also remember they can propel themselves like a torpedo out of the tank or bucket so try bear that in mind ... Also try not to confront the eel ... They are easily spooked into "GOD MODE" if faced with danger ..... Very very easily caught with a pair of nets from the side or back but can turn in a flash .... Try and get deep ones and use it weight to its disadvantage ........ You can also try Umhlanga ... plenty there in the pools and easier to catch than open water

19. chikaboo

chikaboo

BTW ... do you still have nemmies .... Watch out for the eel as he be able to steal from the nemmie before it can close to eat

20. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

I am not a fan of people collecting and keeping eels. I suppose my feelings are influenced by the number of homes i have had to find for unwanted creatures when they become to big for the aquarium or the aquariust gets tired of picking up knocked over rocks and corals. Eels are cute when small but soon become a problem a few years down the line.

Having said that i am very encouraged to see that @danimal has taken the responsible approach in seeking advice before simply going down to the beach, and or LFS and collecting items then asking questions later. :thumbup: Well done.

Bud, do not make a hasty decision, think it through very carefully over a few days. Then if you are confident you will be happy with the eel for the many years they live. Then enjoy a fun day catching yourself a lifelong pet.

Last edited: 6 Sep 2011
  21. danimal

danimal Thread Starter

thanks chika... will try that

how do you actually get the eel out of his hiding hole in the first place? entice him with food? once he's out or nearly out i would imagine the two net trick would work nicely.

oh and where can i get a lekker big net like yours? ive tried the local fishing shops, but most have a really big mesh

Recent Posts