Snowflake eel help

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by MadScientist, 21 Nov 2013.

1. MadScientist

MadScientist

Hi MASA,

As some of you know i am planning on a predator tank. So far my list is a pair of fuzzy dwarf lionfish, spotted and longnose hawkfish, 2 scorpion leaf fish, and a foxface. I am considering a snowflake eel, however on many sites that I have read these eels seem to be 50/50. some have encountered no problems at all, while others say that their CUC gets eaten. For my CUC its just 2 sand sifting starfish and red legged hermits. So before i decide to buy it, I would like some other opinions of what you think of this addition. Also if people who keep them could give me their experiences I would really appreciate it.

TIA:thumbup:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

Will definitely eat your hermits (and most crustaceans).

4. MadScientist

MadScientist Thread Starter

That bad? lol.. so I guess if theres an eel in a tank there cant be a CUC

5. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

You might be able to get away with a coral banded shrimp if the shrimp is there first. They clean morays in the wild. Snails should also be fine.

6. MadScientist

Coral banded will probably end up food for the lions or hawks... Or even the scorpions:-( guess we can't keep everything we'd like

7. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

The hawks are likely gonna steal a lot of the lions/scorpions food anyway. Those dwarf lions and paperfish are very slow eaters.

8. MadScientist

Yeah, true. I will need to feed on on side to get the hawks attention n then stick feed the lions n scorps

9. Mouse

Mouse

I have a snowflake and yes, he definitely eats your CUC but get some turbo's and you won't have a problem - he can't seem to crush those :thumbup:
    Oh, and my red legged hermit has managed to survive through the years.

Be careful on what fish you keep, he will eat those! If they can't hide at night, consider them a gonner in the morning.

So any fish that can sleep under your substrate or in boltholes in your live rock are safe as houses, the rest are fodder.

Initially mine used to eat my shrimps, now they're all best of mates - I think it's a case of keeping him well fed and he tends to be OK but it's hit and miss.
    Once I had bought 2 new shrimps and within 30 minutes of them being added to the tank, the one was snapped in half.

That was a few years ago though and that was the last victim.

I have 2 cleaner shrimps, 2 firecracker shrimps and a coral banded shrimp and all seem to be doing well with the eel.

Good luck!!

10. MadScientist

Hi Mouse,

Thanks for the reply. This is similar to other forums i have been reading some are okay and some are not. I doubt the fish will have a problem as the hawks are aggressive and fast swimmers and they remain perched on and between rocks at night. so do the fuzzy dwarf lions. and their size might deter the eel. all fish i have selected grow to min 7" excluding the hawk which should get to about 5". so that shoudnt be a prob.

Still deciding though. only problem would be finding a home for the guy if he becomes trouble.

11. MadScientist

@Mouse what fish do you keep with it?

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  12. Mouse

Mouse

@MadScientist - I don't keep too many to be honest, I learned quite quickly that eels and fish don't generally play nicely together.
    Anything that is fast and can hide is your best bet - fish that bury themselves into the substrate or live in the boltholes in rocks at night.

My golden wrasse sleeps under the sand and my blennies and midas blennies live in the rocks....

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  13. Handy

Handy

I've had my hermit,snails in the tank for 6 months and they are all fine, keep the snowflake well fed as Mouse said and no problems. Mine is about 60cm at this stage.

Recent Posts