SnotBall

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by JS, 5 Dec 2012.

1. JS

JS

Hi guys

So, I am babysitting @Henkie fish (2 clowns, black bean and a six line wrasse)

Was scared to put sixline in display, as they are super hard to catch.

So in the sump he went....supplied him with some live rock and a pipe or 2 to hide....however this morning I was supprised to see him sleeping in his cocoon....:thumbup:

now, i have only heard about this, never seen mine do it (I have one in my nano)....and apparently they do it, when they have no hiding place they like....pretty cool sight....

Will get a pic tom morning of this.....

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mewik

Mewik

My McCoskers flasher wrasse used to do it everynight, he would make a little snot sack in the corner of the tank or between the liverock. It makes them easy to catch at night because they go all catatonic and zonked out.

4. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Wow, never heard of this before, would love to see some pics.

5. JS

JS Thread Starter

Cool, will def take pics in the morning....been reading on the net now...apparently very common for wrasse and parrot fish to do this....

6. Mewik

Mewik

Well I wont be taking any.....my wrasse kicked the can a few months back....gurrrrr :banghead:

Yeah like JS said its to stop predators sniffing them out on the reefs, I knew the parrot fish made a nest thing from watching dstv repeats, had no idea certain wrasse did it too until I saw my fish doing it. At first it thought it was dead and freaked out.

7. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

Have always heard this, never seen this :)

8. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

I think it may also be a seasonal thing.. as i now also have a cacoon floating every morning.... i doubt its my bipatartis wrasse which is the newest addition who has been in the tank for a month already... the cacoon has only been seen for the last few days..

9. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Preparing for 21/12/2012;)

10. saaid

saaid

Can't be seasonal,all 3 my wrasse done it for a couple days when I added them to the tank. I think they do it until they find a secure home.

11. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

LOL...:tt2::p

12. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

I've never heard of this..:eek:.. WOW..going to go GOOGLE it now...!!!:p Imagine I added a Wrasse and saw him in his "cacoon"...I would have freaked out and thought he was being "stored" for later, like Spiders...:eek:..

13. Mewik

Mewik

Bit of a cheesy article that ends with a little joke to round things off:
    http://66.226.4.226/programs/loh-down-on-science/2011/07/21/25242/spit-cocoons/

They suspect that the parrot fish do it to hide from parasites at night, as well as predators. So I was just thinking could the wrasse not be making spit bubbles in our tanks when we have a high number of parasites in our tanks feeding on them? Which might explain why they dont always make them? Do you even get parasites that might not be visible to the naked eye or that can hide in our tanks and only appear at night?

hmmmmmmm

14. chikaboo

chikaboo

Very common with wrasses and if you lucky you can catch them devouring their cacoon for breakfast if your feeding regime does not include breakfast .... Very common with cleaner wrasses

15. Henkie

Henkie

My fish is awesome!!! hahaha, thanks again @JS

16. LCornelius

LCornelius Moderator

Insane, would love some pics!

17. CarlosF

CarlosF

my sixline does it every day

18. Helga

Helga

O my Word!...:shocked:,

I know the Parrotfish and some wrasses do that, but never realised Sixlines would also build a cocoon. But I too find a snotty gooy ball floating early morning. Thought its one of the corals thats unhappy. Now it makes sense. Problem is, I have 3 wrasses....Sixline, Cleaner, Banana.....so which one do you reckon it could be?

19. pkc

pkc

I have had several varieties do this that we collect, they normally don’t bother after a while if the tanks free of risks to them.
    But then if they stress or feel threatened at all they can start doing it again.
    Any I have had over the last 15 years of night lighting for them,stops then next day as I have night-lights to reduce stress with fish a great deal.
    Fish don’t sleep they go into what some think is a trance but isn’t, they are just blind and confused if a light is put on them.
    When you shine a light on a lay in waiting fish for daylight, the fishes heart rate triples and if that was in the ocean, the sharks can find them, these (signals to muscles), is able to be sensed by sharks and they instinctively know that.
    If you provide your fish with a night-light, they stress less and this reduces the chance of white spot as they don’t have to lay there scared shitless every time a crab or brittle sea star or what ever touches them or the light is put on in the next room or a cars headlights go past the house or clouds go over the moon that night!!

OH, and the rest of the wrasse that hide in the sand at night and when we go to catch them of a day time they dig under, there they have to remain very still at night or the muscle signals for heart and gills are picked up by the hammer head sharks if hunting near by that use the receptors in that part of their head shape and shovel them out.
    At night sharks can see with other senses, fish are history.

Last edited: 6 Dec 2012
  20. seank

seank

Good post @pkc
    Could someone please press his thanks button as i cannot do it from my phone......

Recent Posts