Snorkeling / Diving in Richards Bay

Discussion in 'Diving, Collecting and Environmental Discussions' started by seank, 17 Feb 2010.

1. seank

seank

Magman convinced me yesterday to take a dive with him in our Harbor area (not the cleanest of water). I must say that it was the first in a long time as well as the first time I saw the water very clean. Visibility was about 5meters.
    I really enjoyed it as I have not dived for more than 02 years (I think).

The species of fish we saw, was just amazing. Saw a semi the size of my foot...lol. Still beautiful with all the colors at the right places. Seems that all the nice fish we saw, was all record sizes. Pencil Surgeons around 300mm long and Cigar Wrasses- schools of them- never saw more than one at a time prior to this.

Saw beautiful Banner fish, chased a huge Bat fish, tried to get close to a Moorish Idol, saw most of the Chaetodon species, and quite a few beautiful Tang species.

I also saw a very nice Squirrel fish......mmmmmm, I want:p

Thanks Magman, I really enjoyed it, pity it is raining today as I was really looking forward to another dive.:thumbup:

Oh, and that Lionfish was just a stunner of note.

Next time I'll come with descent clothes and won't jump into the water with my work clothes....:lol:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Broder

Broder Mudshark

The diving has been awesome all along our beautiful coastline in the last few weeks. I've had to set up a second quarrantine tank it's been so good in East london! I managed to catch a squirrel fish on Saturday in fact but had to leave it's partner behind, as the tide had changed and the current was getting too strong. The only reason that I knew it was reef-safe is because I remembered the beautiful photo that you took of yours with its hang-dog expression. Went back on Valentines day, hoping to re-unite the two, but to no avail. I saw it, but it saw me at the same time and bunkered down without showing itself again. Sadly had to leave it behind. It's amazing how fish find a hole or rock and make it their home irrespective of how much they're disturbed at that location. I managed to squeeze in another dive just before sundown on Monday as the tides were playing ball, and would you believe it, there it was again.... at exactly the same hole. This time the fish magnet in the back of my net was working and I managed to herd it in at the first attempt.

I'm glad to say that they're happily reunited and both eating prawn, fish and flake already. Hopefully that'll be their last Valentines day apart.

4. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

lol Koekemoer and Magman diving in the harbour :slayer:
    Leave the stupid Squirrel fish in the bay fella!

5. SIMS

SIMS

Yeah I went a few weeks ago..its amazing what nice fish we have in our back yard

6. seank

seank Thread Starter

Squirrel fish has the best attitude. I miss mine very much. But will get one soon again.

@ Mek, you'll cry if you see what we saw;)

Yes Shaun, true, it is beautiful here. Just hope that they keep the chemicals out of the water now- I see the mussels are growing wild on the piers again- been looooong time since this happened

7. Mekaeel

Lekker. Next time I come, we'll go for a dive, just make sure that big Zamie is not there :p

8. seank

seank Thread Starter

You must do so Mek- you'll find it.....entertaining :lol:

Just got back from another dive. Because of the rain and wind, it was not that visible, but very enjoyable, Managed to save a big soapfish (I think) that had a hook and steel trace in it's mouth. Cut the line and let him go, he just swam down to the bottom and laid there, probably tired as the line was a bit old- meaning he must have been on the line for a couple of days.

Saw a biiiiiggggg school of Grunter Mek, that just made my day.:biggrin:

Other than that, the usual reef fish

9. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

damn u lucky guys

10. Mekaeel

Why you didnt take a rod with? Lekker to have a grilled Grunter now :yeahdude:

11. seank

seank Thread Starter

Yip, I was thinking the same thing. Wish I had a spear with me

Recent Posts