Smoking section and reef tank

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Marlin Fischer, 20 Jan 2010.

1. Marlin Fischer

Marlin Fischer Mutantfish

Hi guys

Could there be significant negative effects on a reef tank that is positioned in a reasonably well ventilated smoking section?

A friend of mine that owns a restaurant was thinking of putting a 2m x 1m x 0.7m display in his restaurant but the best place for it to be would be btw the smoking section (pub/bar) and the non smoking section.

The smoking section size is approx 15m x 5m

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. lanzo

lanzo Sponsor

i dont think that smoke can be to good for the inmates...lets leave this for the guys that knows their "chemi" ...midasblenny:)

4. Manic

Manic Moderator

I can't see it doing any harm. Most smoking sections are well ventilated and I'm sure a lots of people with fish tanks in their houses smoke around them.

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I saw somebody who ash their smokes in the tank... No harm done... Will not give names.

6. Marlin Fischer

Marlin Fischer Thread Starter Mutantfish

???? Reasoning of this fella ????

7. Marlin Fischer

smiley face 4 above,haha just bewildered:)

8. LuckyFish

LuckyFish MASA Contributor

When you say, well ventilated, you mean with extractor fans as usually used in smoking areas?
    I can tell you and promise you, if for whatever reason the ventilation stops, the PH will drop 0.3 to 0.5 in almost no time.
    I experienced this myself. My living room had the size of 6 x 8m and the height of the ceiling was 3.4m. Filtration, sump, etc. was NOT installed in the living room.
    Around 20 people were there for a birthday party. The PH dropped by 0.3 within an hour. Only a few people were smoking. And that happen every time, when we had a party.
    If a tank with sump and filtration is installed in a smoking area, I can imagine that the PH will drop by at least 0.5 because the air, that gets sucked from the skimmer, will drop the PH very quick, as soon as the room ventilation is off.

9. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

dozing trace elements?
    do not know...

10. Marlin Fischer

Interesting! Thanks for the warning! What exactly in the smoke would do this? the CO2 content?

11. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

I was a smoker too, till I replaced my oil rings nearly 2 years ago...lol And I can tell you this, smoking is bad for everything...period!!!
    Posted via Mobile Device

12. Marlin Fischer

Not for meat though? especially chicken and gamon?:thumbup:

13. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

OK, now that oak smoke is lekka!!
    Posted via Mobile Device

14. LuckyFish

I am not so sure about that, but the fact that we reduce oxygen and produce carbon dioxide, will drop the PH already. With smoking is getting even worse.

I also know, that many professional breeders say, smoking is a no go, in a hatchery.

I had that time back my PH controller mounted above the tank. Every minute, it dropped 0.01. The first time, I could not imagine that the party is the cause, because filtration, skimmer, etc. was all in the cellar.
    A friend of mine lost all his live stock, during his renovation. His father was cleaning up and folding the empty cement bags. The fine dust settled on the tanks surface and the PH dropped quick to 7. After his tank was stocked up again, his son knocked on the tank. With his metal toy car and the front screen broke. He gave this hobby up.

15. Hill

Hill

Please note that after the smoking, the chicken and pig were dead.....;)

16. seank

seank

Tried to smoke a chicken once, the head did not want to light up and I keep having feathers in my mouth. Will stick to leaves:whistling:

17. colbar

colbar

I think smoking is a no no near a fish tank. Sure 1 or two ciggies are fine but constant smoking I'm sure can do harm. I dont even use aerosol furniture polish near the tank. I recently read of someone whose tank was wiped out because the next door neighbour used creasout (dont know how to spell it - but that stuff that they paint gumpoles with).

18. Johan van Aardt

Johan van Aardt I love marines [R.I.P.]

Ok i have a suggestion. Why not seal the tank on the smokers side, ie no smoke can reach it, and make the side that is in the non smoking section the part were u have access to the tank. Surely this will sort the problem out and u dont have to even worry about smoke in the tank.

thats just what id do

19. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Exactly my thoughts when I started reading this thread - I think that would work very well. The tank would probably need a few "security" measures which is not normal on home tanks, for instance to stop anyone from gaining access to the water surface (throwing ash of booze into the water...), the lights (risk of injury...) or the sump (risk to both the tank and to e.g. small kids falling in & drowning...). Tha tank should also be made from thicker glass, as there would be an increased risk of the glass being bumped and shattering, and this could lead to people being injured (public liability...).

Hennie

20. LuckyFish

I think, if that would be an option, this thread would have never been written.
    But I agree with the thicker glass. And ash is not the biggest problem.
    You know that story of throwing a coin into the water and your wish become true.
    Depending on the room itself and the access to an outside wall, the tank could be boxed in and could get ventilation from the outside. Air for the skimmer could be sucked from the outside. Canopy could be made with flaps and a lock on it, the sump area could be covered with normal cabinet doors and locks.

21. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

cigarette smoke has over 50 nasty carcinogens, it depends on the surface area exposed to the smoke and the concentration of the smoke. if the room is slightly cloudy with cigarette smoke, that is bad as the skimmers air intake literally injects it into the water, otherwise a bit of smoke smell isnt too bad, it usually settles at the surface due to tar content and is removed by some good skimming. However, there are cyanide compounds in some cigarettes like 'camel's which in high enough concentrations can murder corals. if the smoke is really bad, try putting an air filter on your skimmer air intake or even better, drill a hole in the wall and let the skimmer suck air from outside.

Recent Posts