Smithers - Planning Mode..

Discussion in 'Large Tanks' started by Smithers, 9 Oct 2010.

1. Smithers

Smithers

Hello all, it has been a long while since I posted here and even longer since I have had a tank. My girlfriend and I decided that it would be in her best interests to help me get a tank up and running.
    After a brief discussion and virtually no thought we mapped out an area. It took a fairly hungover / almost pissed mate of mine to point out a far better area.

I will post some pics of the area I am going to convert and try and document the entire process. I know that people here are picture *****s!

I have always wanted a wide/deep tank, length is not everything (btw the GF never says this to me ... ever ...;)
    The tank is going to be 1450 L X 700 D (water level of 650) X 1000W (Will settle on 800 if I have to).
    The sump will be half the size of the tank. I will also have another tank with a DSB / fuge.

I learnt a lot of valuable lessons from my old tank and I am hoping to correct them now. Have a look at the link below to view my old setup.
    ( Smithers 4Ft - Marine Aquariums of South Africa)

Because of the set-up costs and work I need to do at home to get this tank in place, I am going to do a nano (which I have always wanted) to help pass the time.
    I have the stand already and the tank will be here at the end of the month.
    I will start another thread for that though.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. seank

seank

Welcome back Smithers. Long time no hear

Last edited: 9 Oct 2010
  4. Smithers

Smithers Thread Starter

Hey Sean, ja it's been too long.

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

So its about the motion
    in the ocean....

1000mm wide, need good long thongs. Very difficult to pick stuff up that fall behind the rockwork. My tank is 750 deep, 750 wide, and I stuggled to retrieve a nice zoa colony...

6. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Wise girlfriend you have there :whistling:

Hennie

7. Smithers

Smithers Thread Starter

The tank will be accessible from the back and front (just like magman likes it) so I am not too concerned about it. OregonReef (Oregonreef.com) has always been my favorite tank because of the dimesions ). Have a look at the link and I am sure you will see why. Quick teaser below.
    [​IMG]

Some people do call me long thong silver.

Just a quick update, I am going to DIY me a lightin' unit as the cost of a Aquamedic / Locally produced unit is way out of my price range.
    I contacted a laser cutting place in Durban and gave them a (really bad) sketch of what I wanted. They are able to cut and bend 1.2mm aluminium and do what I want at a really good price. Once I get it back I will drill the holes for all the wiring clips and ballasts then it will be powder coated white. I will put the order in next week and hopefully get it all back fairly soon.

In total the unit will house 8 4ft T5's if I do need to put extra lighting in I will have the space around the tank for some MH's

8. ravi

ravi

new tank

hi smithers.. can you pm me the guys that doing the hood for you. or maybe yr plans and measurements coz i have been trying unsuccessfully to make mine. my tank is 1220 * 450 * 650. thanks man

Recent Posts