Smithers Needs Help !

Reaction score
I need some help with my tank. I am not happy with the way it is looking. I recently took it apart to get rid of a lot of fish and coral. It was looking a bit over crowded !

Removed 6 goldies, 3 wrasse, 2 surgeons and a long nose butterfly. Removed loads of star polyps and zoa's as well.

This was my tank in november

IMAG0017.jpg

This is my tank now.

TankAfter.jpg

Crap shot I know but I was in a bit of a rush this morning.
Any comments are welcome as I want to get this looking better.

Arb Shot of corralline growing since the CaRx has been running.

Coralline.jpg

The corals on the gravel in the front of the tank were given to me on the weekend. Were not doing so well in a mates tank. Will be moved soon.
The white piece of rock at the back of the tank will be having some more zoa's stuck on it soon.

I wanted to do that but space in a 4ft is limited :(
There is a bit of a cave to the left. I need to take some better pics.

To be absolutely honest with you I think your tank looked better in the first pic, something about the 2nd pic just doesn't seem right, not sure, maybe the aquascaping or too many zoos in one place.

That is what I felt as well Dean. I don't like the rock packed to the top. Going to re-do it. I was thinking of 2 mounds of rock on either side of the tank with an open area in the middle.
Zoa's at the bottom on the gravel leading on to the rock's ?

What about one mound on the far left of the tank and another bigger mound on the right with a sort of slope coming towards the front centre of the tank, which will create a sort of cavern look from the left going through to the rear of the tank?

Zoa's at the bottom on the gravel leading on to the rock's ?

Yeah, spread the zoa's out a bit, should look nice.

I have to do something. I really do not like the way it looks at all. I love my Zoa's I have got a good size collection. Problem is I also love my SPS and LPS.
I really need to get a tank that is 1000mm wide next.

If you made a "centre" piece , won't it also look better and with flow from both sides it will help keep it clean. If you put the LR on the sides it will prob create a debris trap.

I suc at aquascaping but you must find a balance between looks and some thing that it practical.

yup I suck at it too !
I have a Tunze nano stream and a Seio 1100 Behind the rock work at the moment. Seems to move the crap out of the rocks quickly enough.

I have a rio return pump at home that I bought and have just not used. I need to plump that in instead of the P.O.S that I have now.

My other problem with the tank is that I need to neaten up the plugs and extend all the cables. I need to minimise the amount of pumps in my sump as well.
I have the return pump, chiller pump, skimmer pump,CaRx pump and the Phosphate disting pump. In the tank there are another 6 powerheads,
2 pumps to run the skimmer and 1 for the autotop up. Just seems insane there are so many.

If and when I get around to do another tank I really want to do a large CLS.

That is the think Mekaeel I do prefer the first pic as well. I don't like the rock to the top.
Kryo I like the way your tank looks, I have loads of 'not so live rock anymore', I am sure I can move the rock about a bit and create a more visually appealing (not appauling)

I may work on the theory that less is more. My girlfriend wants a tank with softies so I may move them across. Stand is in for galvanising once the shops all re-open. I have a 600x45x45 tank for her. Least softies are not so fussy about water temps etc.

What I may do is set her tank up next to mine and move all my 'not so live rock' into that tank, liven it up a bit and then do the big rescape. Ideally I would like to take out all the crushed coral and replace it with sugar fine aragonite. Anyone know where I can get 50kg's of it ?

Haven't read the whole thread so if the suggestion has been made i apologize....but the tank looks to full for my liking, i would remove half the rock and open the aqua scape up a bit.

Just one thing to add: The Caulastrea so high up could suffer some light damage when you start providing the lighting required for sps. I would also drop the montipora a touch, as it will form a nice ridge at the bottom.

I think that in the first one you had plenty little corals. all very close to each other.

You have now opened it up, and there seem to be less specimens, so it looks like the tank has taken a backward step, its amazing once given the space how the corals will fill it, and do it in a natural looking way.

So besides one or two minor fiddles that can be made, I think that it needs time to settle.

Back
Top Bottom