Smithers Nano !

Reaction score
I have been wanting to set up a nano tank at home for a bit. I am going to do this more for my son than for anyone else. Trying to get him interested at a young age !

He currently has a fairly neglected FW Jebo tank round about 40 to 50 litres.

I am not going to use a sump but rather modify the current overhead filter into some more useful.
I am also going to go skimmer-less or try and create something that sits on the back of the tank something like a mini external skimmer.

Lighting is a swine ! I am going to use the current tiny t5's and add some LED's, I think that would create less heat, add extra light and you would be able to highlight certain area's.

I want to use a DSB inside the tank. I am not sure how effective it will be but I want to go with as much natural filtration as possible.

Rocks will be a combination of LR and porcelain.

Corals -
Softy's with the odd LPS.

Fish,
Have to have a fire goby and a decora.

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
I have been wanting to set up a nano tank at home for a bit. I am going to do this more for my son than for anyone else. Trying to get him interested at a young age !

He currently has a fairly neglected FW Jebo tank round about 40 to 50 litres.

I am not going to use a sump but rather modify the current overhead filter into some more useful.
I am also going to go skimmer-less or try and create something that sits on the back of the tank something like a mini external skimmer.

Lighting is a swine ! I am going to use the current tiny t5's and add some LED's, I think that would create less heat, add extra light and you would be able to highlight certain area's.

I want to use a DSB inside the tank. I am not sure how effective it will be but I want to go with as much natural filtration as possible.

Rocks will be a combination of LR and porcelain.

Corals -
Softy's with the odd LPS.

Fish,
Cool, good stuff - now get on with it and post some piccies:lol:

Reaction score
Sounds good Smithers :)

Good luck with the setup.

Kanga

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Sounding good there smithers, Of course just to let you know, ANGRY is definately winning this thing :D:D

Like the idea of your fish too

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Good luck with the venture Smithers! How about's some updated pics on it's own thread of YOUR tank as well? ;-)

Looking forward to seeing this one materialize (as it materializes ;-)

Reaction score
I am not liking the way my main tank is looking. I re-did it the other day and I am not happy with it. I think I should post some pics and get the hexperts to elp out ere.

Reaction score
Dartfish choice: decora OR magnifica

Experience has repeatedly shown me

Nemateleotris decora, is hardier, pricier, noticeably more territirially aggressive to conspecifics ,AND towards N magnifica.

I'd go with the showier N decora.

It's a nano, and we all want the boytjie to learn by SUCCESS and PROMOTE FURTHER INTEREST..right?

Note: I have kept these in relatively poor conditions, and they DO SO MUCH BETTER, than the 'flimsier', yet by NO MEANS UNATTRACTIVE N magnifica ''FIREgoby''

Fish,

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Smithers Medium Tanks 57
Smithers Large Tanks 6
Smithers uncategorised 15
Smithers uncategorised 14
Smithers uncategorised 9