Smithers 4Ft

Smithers

Clownfish
Reaction score
I have been very scarce for a while here and I have not posted anything for ages.
I moved houses and relocated my tank and have changed quite a bit it in the last 4 months. I am moving more towards SPS but still love the flow and look of LPS and softies.
A lot of my equipment has changed as well. So here is the list.

2 Tunze Nano Streams - 2500lph
2 Tunze Nano Streams - 4500 lph
2 Seio 1100's - 4500 lph

Chiller
Auto topup
CaRx (Arriving on Sunday)

Replaced all the T5's and got a BLV MH (Never got this to burn blue - Still yellow !)

I am using a lot of the Tropic marin products and can see a huge change in the tank.

Anyway this was my tank last year this time !!

Photo-0103.jpg

I was battling with hair algea and could never get anything to work !
I replaced the skimmer and got onto forums and never looked back.

This is my tank now. It is not looking that great as I am fragging a lot of the corals I have getting ready for the new tank.

IMAG0017.jpg

AND ...

IMAG0016.jpg

I know I have too many fish in the tank and I am moving some into my other tank this weekend. My current list stands at

Wrasse
1 Cleaner
2 Iridis Wrasse
1 Anampses
1 Cosmetus
1 splendid leopard Wrasse

Surgeons
1 Brown
1 pencil
1 Yellow Dr.

Butterflys
1 Long nose
1 Copper band

7 goldies
1 Maroon Clown
1 Blue Damsel

Shrimp
2 Cleaner
2 Coral Banded

Couple of Starfish as well

Coral list is huge and I have corals and Clams in my other tanks.

Please excuse the poor photo quality as I used my phone. Will take some decent ones soon I hope.

DragonReef

Yellow Tang
Reaction score
Nice Gavin :thumbup:

Hill

Cardinal
Reaction score
looks good Smithers.

ShaneW said it was excellent when he saw it after IMACSA2007. Was sorry I did not visit with him.

Smithers

Clownfish
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I am never happy with it. I am fighting the last bits of bryopsis and finally got rid of the cynao !

The hair algea was a pain to get rid of. The first thing I did was to get the biggest skimmer I could afford. This seemed to work the best out of everything.
I also siphoned off as much as I could combined with regular water changes also worked well.
It turned out the RO I was using was really crappy as well. Once I found a reliable source of RO things started to happen.
I also bought a phosphate and carbon reactor. This helped but not as much as the skimmer and decent RO did.

The last thing I did was change my lighting cycle. I had the lights on only for a few hours a day and once a week I would leave the lights off for 2 days.

Smithers

Clownfish
Reaction score
Forgot to add. In the first crappy picture on the bottom right you can see the anenome and clown fish.
That is the same clown and anenome in the last picture. Both have grown a lot in the past year

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Blimey, that is some change, the first tank shot looked like a disaster zone, that must have taken some serious patience and much hard work to acieve the results clearly shown in the next couple of pictures (either that or you are brilliant at photoshop):whistling: :thumbup:

Smithers

Clownfish
Reaction score
Lol @ weeman !
The thing I enjoy most about my tank is 99% of the fish are from our local waters.
The clown fish was bred locally and the blue damsel and the copperband were purchased.

calvin

Cardinal
Reaction score
looking very cool man!!

leslie hempel

Sponsor
Reaction score
nice work there gav....

Alan

Admin
Reaction score
I was battling with hair algea and could never get anything to work !
I replaced the skimmer and got onto forums and never looked back.
I agree with the upgrade of a skimmer, can actually work wonders but does not happen over night.
I am really glad to hear that the forums help out, the one thing i have noticed over the years since the early days of the local forums is there is a hugh improvement in our local tanks as a whole.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Smithers Medium Tanks 57
Smithers Large Tanks 6
Smithers uncategorised 15
Smithers Nano Tank advice 8
Smithers uncategorised 9