Small sump?

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Pofmuis, 17 Oct 2013.

1. Pofmuis

Pofmuis

I want to add a small sump to my already 10 liter pico aquarium,I don't want to drill my tank so can I just add a small pump in the aquarium that pumps water out into sump and then anothe pump in the sump that pumps water back up they way a canister filter work?their no space on my tank for over flow box.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. wilkenr

wilkenr

HI there. Why don't you just diy an overflow that hangs on the side of your tank and into the sump.The problem with 2 pumps is that if the one inside the tank fails you will pump the contents of the sump into the tank and overfill it leading to water all over the place. Hope this helps.

4. Pofmuis

Pofmuis Thread Starter

We'll no idea how to cut glass and so on diy skills isn't up to date also don't know how over flow box work?

5. JohanKotze

JohanKotze

No, two pumps wont work, one will have different head hight, and one will get dirtier quickly and start pumping slower than the other one, in other words it will lead to a flood sooner or later.

6. Istio

Istio

Pofmuis, it is impossible to balance to pumps exactly like you describe. One always pumps slightly faster than the other leading to a flood/empty. Many of these smaller aquariums are tempered glass and cant be drilled also..just recently had a friend boast to me he drilled his small tank. two hours later, crrackkk!

7. wilkenr

wilkenr

Check this pic out. Realy not that dificult.

DIY%20overflow.jpg

8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Flooding in 3....2....1

That pipes thing posted by wilkenr. It works but it is not 100% failure proof. I had it long long ago. It works... mostly. But drilling the tank, fitting proper overflow is the only sure method to add a sump.

Alternatively you can add a closed cannister , where the cannister got its own build in pump. But spending that money on the pico tank just do not make sense.

9. shan

shan

why do you want to do this?

10. Pofmuis

Pofmuis Thread Starter

Well I have my pico on a stand that's emty so can put a sump to hide everything and to add a skimmer and sand bed in the sump I don't want to go bigger on a tank beacause I like the way the pico looks like and already have a masive freshwater discus tank that I'm do weakly 300 liter water changes at a time so just wanted to add a sump for skimmer and small frag tank.

Recent Posts