Small Sump Sketchup

Discussion in 'Anything DIY Related' started by abgg118, 12 Dec 2007.

1. abgg118

abgg118 MASA Contributor

Hi all,

I want to build a small sump for a 2-foot tank (higher than standard) in which I want to keep a small seahorse pair. To house mainly a skimmer, DSB and refugium. I've made a sketchup model (it's a fairly straightforward design):

[​IMG]

The outside glass is 6mm and the inside "baffles" are 4mm. I haven't completely decided on the width of each of the inner compartments yet, but it should be around about to scale in the model.

So the first compartment could house a skimmer+heater, the second a DSB/refugium and the third the return pump. I guess I could leave out the last baffle and slant the new last baffle to make the DSB a little bit bigger.

The "lid" has got some "stoppers" on the inside to keep it from sliding off, and the 2 back corners are cut so that a 25mm hose would fit through easily. Flow is not going to be very high (seahorse tank). so tha should be more than enough. There is also some space between the top of the sump and the top of the cabinet to fit my arms through when fiddling with stuff in the sump is required. Also, a fuge light unit could stand on top of the lid.

Any comments?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

4. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

5. abgg118

abgg118 Thread Starter MASA Contributor

I've read the rules, and my tank will be just over the limits in terms of tank volume and total volume adding the sump. It's not a standard 2-foot tank. So, unfortunately not. Anyway, I've been just about to set up this tank for about 8 months now already, so maybe it isn't even up and running in February ;)

6. abgg118

I built it.

Well, I built it yesterday after getting a sweet deal on some off-cut glass from a friend who co-owns/manages a glass shop. I haven't put in the last baffle though, as one of the panels wasn't cut exactly right. If there is a problem with bubbles later on, I'll add something to take them away. I didn't take photos of the whole process, as it's fairly straight forwards and lots of bigger better "sump-build" threads already exists.

I also modified the small tank to have a sliding cover and a small overflow. Now just to get it drilled and plumbed ... then to let it stand for a few months before getting a pair of seahorses ;)

7. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Sounds good, keep us posted, just out of curiosity what else are you going to put in the tank in terms of macro-algae and tank mates?

8. abgg118

I don't know yet. I'm hoping I can get some suitable macro-algae / perches during the next few weeks. So far, no definate livestock (except a few snails, hermits and cleaner shrimps) planned. So, how about some suggestions? Maybe some purple firefish.

Recent Posts